Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall-

Sorry for the long post, but I have a problem. I tried to boot my computer yesterday. It is an HP that runs at 1.3 ghz with a celeron socket 370 processor, 256k PC100 RAM, onboard video and sound that runs win 2k pro. When I tried to boot to windows, i got the dreaded inaccessible boot device error after windows started to boot. I tried to boot to safe mode, but got the same message. I would try to run a virus scanner, but I can't boot up. I was thinking of slaving the HDD to my good PC to run the scan, but I do not want to infect the good PC if it is a boot sector virus.

So, I figured maybe the old seagate HDD went out and to verify this, I got on the web and downloaded the seagate utilities and burned the ISO to a bootable CD. When I tried to boot the CD, I got a message saying that "The system memory manager (EMM386.EXE) has detected an error caused by a fault in one of the device drivers or programs loaded in the system. Exception code 6, invalid opcode." I tried to boot to the windows CD using both the setup floppies and the CD, and got the same message, but not the inacessible boot message. From the little bit of research I have done, I have found that the most common possible cause of the exception 6 is corrupt hardware memory, ie: bad RAM, but the computer does it's own RAM check at POST, and shows that it is good.

I went and bought a brand spankin new WD 250g :grin: HDD just to try to load win 2k to it, and got the same emm386 message as before when trying to boot with either the floppies or the CD.

My next step is to see if I can borrow some RAM from a buddy of mine (at least I hope he has some PC100 in stock) and try to boot with that. I have no idea what is going on, and was hoping that maybe you all can shed some light on the subject. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
you can use memtest to check the RAM. let it run a few cycles to test thoroughly. if you do get RAM from another pc practice safe ESD.

the RAM test during the POST might be a quick test. if you disable quick boot in the bios it will do a more thorough test of eveything, but memtest is a better option.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
yes and no. you'll boot to the floppy created by memtest, but not onto windows. so set the boot order in the bios to floppy first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.