Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
((((I am also running this problem under the networking thread, but thought you might have some ideas also.))))

I have very little knowledge about Win 2k Server so please bare with me! I just built a Win 2k Server so I can create a domain w/in my home. I understand networking and already have a network setup using a workgroup, but am tired of the petty problems you have with sharing things in a workgroup. That is why I want a domain with user accounts.

My problem is that I can't get my server/domain controller to talk to my linksys router. I have static coded a network address and it still will not talk. I set up the router with a x.x.x.1 ip address, we will just say 10.0.0.1. I then set up the server with 10.0.0.100. I know everything is set up correctly with the router and the server as far as static coding an IP address. Now, why can't I ping the router?? All I get is a time out. I have replaced the nic and the lan cable both, so neither of those are bad. (Nic says it has a link and there is a green light.)

I have tried setting the server to DHCP to pull an IP from the router, but no go there either.

Also, I want this server to be everything for my network....d/c, dhcp, active directory, etc.

Any help will GREATLY be appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No....It is like it doesn't exist.

I won't make another post for a few days. I am running from Hurricane Katrina. Thank you for the continued support.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Networking Issues

How did you set the IP address on the router? Most of the time, you need to access that with a web interface, but if you cannot get to it, this would not be possible.

My first guess would be that the subnet mask or default gateway are incorrect. I would not be surprised that a ping request may not produce a response in some routers. ICMP may be turned off as a security precaution.

If you cannot ping the server from another workstation, I would check the IP addresses again.

IF you are using 10.0.0.0 / 24 (there is really no danger in displaying that information on the forum as it is a private address that no one can get to anyway) then the address should be:

and should be verifable by typing ipconfig at a command prompt. I would do this from both the server and workstation to verify they are on the same network.

Can the workstation access the router? (maybe that is how you programed it)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.