Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now ive got a 400w corsair psu, its about a year old. i bought it to replace the stock psu when i got a new graphics card.

recently i replaced my graphics card and psu and bought:

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1352-KR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card-_-

and Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply-_-

however the psu (750w) stopped working sometime day while i was at school. when i was asking for advice last week on what to buy (on this forum) i was recommended to buy those two, and that my current psu wouldnt be able to handle that graphics card.

the graphics card says it requires 400w or more.. which is what i have (400w) so im wondering if the 750 was necessary? im sending the psu back for a refund since it wont work and im currently using the 400w, i havent played any games, not sure if thatd do anything, just keeping it easy till i know for sure. need some help if my current psu can handle it or not, or if i should still get a bigger one. thanks.

pc specs:
Pavilion a4310f pc
amd athlon II x2 dual core 3.0 ghz
4gb ddr3
nvidia geforce gts450 1024 gddr5
currently 400w corsair psu

i used the new graphics card and 750w corsair power supply for less than a week, i put them in last thursday.. not sure why itd stop working? but sending it in for refund, deciding on if i should get another or not.

·
Visiting Expert, Microsoft Support Team
660 Posts
What you need to keep in mind is that Nvidia recommends a 400W PSU as the minimum requirement. It also needs at least 22A on the +12v rail.

In your case, a 650W PSU will be sufficient. Go in for the 750W one only if you need the extra headroom for upgrades.

Options:

650W - SeaSonic X650 Gold

750W - SeaSonic X750 Gold

SeaSonic PSUs are top quality.

You could also consider other PSUs from XFX and Corsair (HX, TX series).

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
As noted, you should be at 650W minimum. It is unfortunate the 750W Corsair (made by SeaSonic) failed but even the best manufacture's can have some faulty units. The 750 has a 5 yr. warranty so there is no need to purchase a replacement. Newegg has a 30 day replacement policy. If the purchase is beyond that time request an RMA from Corsair and have it replaced.
Support

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
You're welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.