Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
G

·
Just change the boot sequence to boot to CD first.

When it gives you prompts if you have a questions PM me.

The problem with some of these installations is if it gets screwed up on the way by choosing the wrong thing it will remember some of the installed items.

I'll be here if you need help...:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
I already started installing from the boot disks, which eventually ask for the CD. Should I format with NTFS partition, FAT32 partition, or just install straight?

Should I make any partitions? For example, one partition for my Program Files folder, another for my WIN folder, etc.?

G

·
I use FAT32 it is more compatible with other programs...:D

I never make alternate partitions but the option is there if you want to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ok, I am always used separate partitions for my linux box, and I always wondered why windows users don't do the same thing. I guess I will use FAT32 if it is compatible with more programs. :D

Thanks for all the help: hopefully this will be the last. *pray* :angel:

G

·
Piece "O" Cake.....:D

I have to run down the store to get PEPSI be back in about ten.

Geez it's hot here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Same error has occured:

The following value in the .SIF file used by Setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on line in section [SourceDisksFiles] with key "SP1.cab."

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

G

·
When you wrote zeros to the drive there were no errors reported and it didn't reboot or stop.

Which leads me to the CD itself.

Is it good and clean with no scratches?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ok, Stop. The post has dragged on so far I have forgotten which machine you have the hard drive in and which cd you are using.

IF the 12+ gig is BACK in the ORIGINAL machine you were fixing, first THROW AWAY THE 2000 FLOPPIES.

Put a win98 boot disk in, select command prompt, type "fdisk" and remove all partitions.

Take the 98 boot disk out, re boot, go to your BIOS and set it to boot from your CD, boot to the win2000 cd.

I don't know what's taking so long, it will format in 10 minutes or less. I like NTFS, and like partitioning afterwards for alternate OS'es with Partition Magic.

If you get a read error IT STILL MIGHT NOT BE YOUR CD, it could be your cd drive. I have had more CD drives go bad than any other system part.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ok, I am going to try these things, but the CD has worked before and is still new and scratch free. I have two CD drives - a DVD and a burner. I can try from either one, but I will try JAMMAN's fdisk stuff and then boot from the Win98 CD I have. If I can get Win98 to install, I can just install Win2000 from Win98.

G

·
JAMMAN

What do you think you are doing.....:rolleyes:

You are running around here posting your brains out and you leave your PM box full.

Now is that any way to act.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
OK, win98 installed ok, and win2000pro is upgrading right now. I would have rather down the regular win200pro update, but my CD is a copy, so doesn't work properly. Well, who knows.

Thanks for helping me out in this 50 post pandemonium.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.