Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Format

I am formating the HD right now with the W2kPro format option in Explorer. I doubt this is the best way, but I am just going ahead and formating the disk now that it is backed up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Odd

Well, I formated the HD, and something odd appears. Capacity: 12.6, Free: 12.5, Used: 67.5 MB. I guess this is normal? I just formated the HD and there is about 68 MB of used spaced on it?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
W2kPro Setup Error

My Windows 2000 Pro disk is failing to setup for some reason, so I am not sure how to run setup for Windows 2k Pro now.

I should add that I made my Win2kPro disk from a "Dell Only" disk because my computer wasn't entirely a Dell anymore (I upgraded nearly everything). The disk has worked in the past, so I don't know why it isn't working now, but I am going to try installing Win98 and upgrading from the FAT32 drive to the NTFS during the upgrade from Win98 to win2kpro. The last time I wiped my system clean I had to install win98 first, too. Sigh. :no: :tongue2:

G

·
OK

Let us start anew here....:D

Tell us what you have done and what you are trying to do.

What drive is where?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Recap

OK, so the problem drive is in the problem PC. I put the problem drive in my good computer and formated from there after backing it up. Now the problem drive is being formated during the setup for win2kpro, which never completes due to an error.

G

·
OK lets see if we can figure this out step by step.

What brand is this hard drive.

And does the bios recognize it as the proper size?

OVER...:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The HD size is correctly detected, and the HD is a Western Digital 12.7 Gig.

Here is the error during Windows 2000 Professional Setup:

The following value in the .SIF file used by Setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDiskFiles] with key "SP1.cab."

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3.

G

·
The HD size is correctly detected, and the HD is a Western Digital 12.7 Gig.
I don't remember seeing this or I would not have posted my last post.

Pretty good

I think we need to wipe the drive and start fresh.

Do you have the floppy that came with the drive?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ok, sorry bout that. The drive is very very old, but I do have the Universal Boot Disk that came with it. However, a couple of files on it are corrupt now, so I made the 4-disk Win2kPro boots. In other words, the floppy died. :( When you mean wipe do you mean format? I formated it as a slave on this computer (the one I'm typing on), and I formated two or three times before attempting to install.

G

·
What I mean by wipe is writing zeros to the drive. This will clean it off good, Which is what it needs..

go here and download the diagnostic tool (the second one down)

Extract it to a floppy disk with nothing else on it.

Then go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download and download the dr.dos disk I think it is the sixth one down and make a floppy with the downloaded program.

Set the boot sequence to boot from floppy first and boot to the dr.dos disk.

At the A:> prompt take out the dr.dos disk and put in the disk you made from Western Digital and type dir enter.

Then type dlgdiag.exe

Enter

Y

N

Press any key

Arrow down to Write Zeros To Drive.

Enter

Then follow the instructions from there.

When your done post back....

This will be done in the machine that you want the drive in not the one you are using now...:D

G

·
Hey I have seen prople fubar the machine they were posting on more than once.

Then it's like where have they gone....:confused:

I am not doubting your capabilities but I really don't know what they are...So I try to be careful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Heh, yes I don't know much about this sort of thing. I am a web designer, and hell I don't even know that much about web design. But when you get hired you don't ask questions. :D

This process is listed at taking 67 minutes, yowza.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah, it isn't taking 67 minutes.. I think the 120 gig would take 2 days because mine is taking roughing 3.5 hours. multiply that by 10 and you take my 12 gig and get a 120 gig, 3.5 hours becomes 35 hours give or take. That's a day and a half. That equals outrageoridiculoludicrousity.

G

·
Wow it only takes me two hours to do a 30 gig.

The ATA and RPM's may have something to do with it.

All of the drives I am currently using are ATA100 or ATA133 at 7200 RPM's

I forgot to take this into consideration....:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Done

Ok, the drive is all 0's now, and I checked over it to make sure no problems or bad sectors were on there. I am ready now to try and reinstall 2000 Pro, so I am going to go ahead and do that unless you suggest any more diagnostics?

I've noticed that the BIOS detects my processor as 1050 instead of 1400 (it was at 1466 even). Should I change this now?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.