Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
To rule out about a half dozen things at once, see if it will boot in safe mode.

Welcome to the forum, sorry you are having problems.

·
Registered
852 Posts
?

tried booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and the computer restarts immediately after the Starting Windows bar completes as well.
The starting windows bar does not or is not supposed to come up when going to command prompt.

This is truly bizzare. Do you have virus protection and have you ran a scan in the days before it gave completely out?

The ge-force should be just fine with det4 drivers, however for awesome openGL performance the MX version was a little weak.

·
Registered
852 Posts
OK. Do you have access to another hard drive? Even a little 2 gig or something? If so yank the current one, put the alternative in and try to load 2k on it. If it works, load the drivers for your lan and get that working. Then shut down and put the ORIGINAL hard drive back in as a slave and reboot. All your stuff on the original HD can be sucked thru the lan and stored somewhere till you can format and re do the original drive.

If it crashes on the alternate drive; time to start digging in to hardware again.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yes if...............

if the original HD was formatted NTFS and the dell has 2k or XP,

OR if the original HD was FAT the dell could have 98 and still be ok.

The repair option if you boot to the win2000 CD will come up automatically. I haven't seen it for a while but I think it goes something like "Windows has detected an operating system on your hard disk"
And will give you the option to repair the installation, over write it, or install clean.

Install clean is interesting because it sets up a dual boot with one version of 2k that works and still gives you the option to boot to the one that don't work. Did it accidentially twice.

This is not the exact words they use, but you will be able to tell what it is when it comes up.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ok, Stop. The post has dragged on so far I have forgotten which machine you have the hard drive in and which cd you are using.

IF the 12+ gig is BACK in the ORIGINAL machine you were fixing, first THROW AWAY THE 2000 FLOPPIES.

Put a win98 boot disk in, select command prompt, type "fdisk" and remove all partitions.

Take the 98 boot disk out, re boot, go to your BIOS and set it to boot from your CD, boot to the win2000 cd.

I don't know what's taking so long, it will format in 10 minutes or less. I like NTFS, and like partitioning afterwards for alternate OS'es with Partition Magic.

If you get a read error IT STILL MIGHT NOT BE YOUR CD, it could be your cd drive. I have had more CD drives go bad than any other system part.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.