Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting

G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (F2-5400

Asrock ConroeXFire-eSATA2 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Connect3D ATI Radeon X1950 XT 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

Psu and Case - http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/93403

Will the PSU be enough? at gamefaqs.com they said it will be fine, but some here say not..

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

You won't get agreement on that one. First of all, I own one of those units for my spare computer so I am very familar with this unit.

The case IMHO is one of the best, very quiet, easy to work with and has so many nice features. I would order another one in a minute.

The power supply is a very good one for a 450, but I personally don't think it is strong enough for your rig. I had one of these power supplies in my one case and it tanked not too long ago, so I had to send it back in. I replaced it with a Seasonic 600 and will not put the returned replacement Antec 450 back in my rig. I do have another case with this power supply in, but it is only pulling a P4 2.8 with a mid-range AGP card in it, and it seems to work well for that.

With that said, this 450 is about as strong as about any 450 I have used so it is top of the line for a 450. However, a 450 does not make it with your rig. You need a 600+ power supply to pull that unit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. so it wouldent be safe to use it for awhile until i have enough money to get anouther PSU? I have already ordered everything and i have no money left for a new PSU atm.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I don't think it will hurt a thing to give it a try. It might pull it for a while with no problems, but eventually, it will not make it after you use it for a while or if you add some more power hungry items on. When it won't pull it any longer and you begin to have troubles, then change it.

This is a very excellent 450, so knowing that supply, I would go ahead and give it a try. I would just be careful about adding any more load items on the unit until you have a larger supply.

That is my advice after having used this supply for a while. You are going to love that case...it is super.

Side note: For a while I used that same power supply with an Athlon 3700+ San Diego with a pretty loaded up computer (a mid-range video card) and it worked fine until it would not turn on anymore. That is what I base my opinion on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will use it for now then until i have any problems or have some spare cash to burn on a new 550+W PSU

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Good plan. When you do move up, then go ahead with the 600 to 650 watt power supply instead of the 550. That way, you won't have to do it again in the near future. Save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I agree with Tumbleweed on his reccomendations of the 600 watt or even 650 if it were me. The 1950 video card will draw 125 watts on its own!

I would be afraid to harm my memory sticks with a unit that is undersized. it definetly wont game, dont even try!

The Seasonic 600 or 650 watt is a very high class high quality stable unit (best maker in the market IMHO)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.