Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm completely clueless when it comes to graphics cards and things, I've never actually looked at them before :confused: But I've given into the need, and I'm currently looking at a Radeon 9600Pro for my Dell Optiplex GX260... does anyone know if it's compatible? I'm not even quite sure if my computer allows additional graphics cards... I'm all new to this

Plz help...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry, I have the flat desktop model. My budget is roughly $100 (High hopes, huh XD), so I started looking for second-hand cards... which is how I found this Radeon one. By the sound of things, it's not in too bad a shape.

As for the games, I have a few here (Doom 3 and Lego Star Wars to name a few) that I've bought in the past that haven't worked because I lack a decent video card.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have the one that says standard desktop, the one in the middle.

I can't play either of those games atm because I need pixel shader or something. Doom 3 is the only game that "works", but only to a certain extent... It has a REALLY tough time trying to process everything, even on all the lowest settings, and it has a horrible habit of crashing the computer when things get too busy.

I don't know anything about gpu's (or even what it is... *hides*)... but what I'm really desperate to know whether or not my box can actually support new cards.

I currently have 512mb of ram and an Intel Pentium 4 1.80Ghz CPU

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
It can. It has an agp slot so you can use low profile agp cards. Are you currently using any card or just the on board video? If you don't know you can right click the desktop / properties / settings tab / advanced button / and adapter tab , and there it will say what graphics you are using under "adapter type".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bummer, the one I was after isn't low profile... But out of curiosity, what would be a better choice between ati and nvidia anyway? Or are they both pretty equal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read somewhere that agp cards deliver much more performance than pci cards, is this true? In which case, is a low-profile agp still better than pci? I'm... quite lost :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, and about that link to the GeForce 6200A video card... I noticed it says 8x, does that matter? Cause I thought I heard something about the optiplex gx260 only taking 4x or 4x/8x or something?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok, so I'm now looking at pci cards, since low profile agp cards are getting VERY hard to find. (as they are >.<) I wont run into any issues trying to get a pci card for my pc, will I? Cause I keep finding pci and pci express, and im not quite sure which one my computer will support.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.