Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current computer is a Prebuilt E-Machines 270
Will my Old 37GB HD and 56k Modem and CD Drive work in This?

G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (F2-5400

Asrock ConroeXFire-eSATA2 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Connect3D ATI Radeon X1950 XT 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Midi Tower - With 450W SmartPower2.0 PSU

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Yes they should, but you should have no need for the modem, I do believe the new mobo basically has it onboard. One thing to note however, while Antec does make decent psu's, the bundled psu with the Sonata case may not be enough when used with the X1950 XT....that card is going to use about 120W+ all by itself. Read the powersupply info linked at the bottom of my sig to get a better understanding of selecting a proper psu. (and by the way, I like the Sonata...a very quiet and cool case at a really good price, I've built a buch of machines with them for friends who really liked them!)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh i forgot to ask something will i be able to use my Windows XP from my Old Harddrive? Or does it not work like that ;s

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You will need your old modem if you use dial-up for internet. Your motherboard has an onboard LAN port, but not a modem. As for the Windows, is it a retail version or OEM? OEM disks are linked to the machine they were originally on, more specifically the motherboard. If yours is an OEM version, per the licensing agreement from Microsoft you cannot use it. If it's a retail version, you can use it on your new machine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure its OEM since this is a prebuilt e-machines computer and do you mean It wont work or you mean its illegal?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It won't work - Using an existing windows installation on a different mobo would require a repair install and activation- activation would fail if it were an oem xp cd.

the same is true if you use an oem xp cd to install on a machine with a different mobo. the actual install might work but activation will fail. if you can't activate, then the install won't do you any good.

the only way an install or repair install with an oem cd will work is if you have a legitimate, unused oem product ID to activate with or a retail version of xp

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You have 30 days to activate or Windows will cease functioning. I would suggest you simply buy a new copy of Windows. Yes, a little more money up front, but peace of mind later. Please don't get involved in pirated copies of software, or try to circumvent the license agreement. It's just not right, both legally and morally.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm afraid your friend has it wrong. If it is not activated (you will have 30 days) then you won't be able to access Windows at all. It will come up with an activation request and if it's not done then it will simply shutdown again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.