Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I currently have Sony PCV-RX660. I have so far upgraded the Graphics Card the RAM and the hard-drive will be upgraded pretty soon. Anyway that's not the problem... The problem is that my current processor speed is 1.8 GHz now I want to upgrade this.

Well the motherboard is an AUSUTeck P4B266LM REV 1.xx
I used CPU-Z to get this information anyway here's a screenshot with additional information...

Anyway here's the part I need help with... I was wondering if the following CPU with run on the motherboard...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116171

Is there anyway that cpu can run on my system. And if not is there a similar processor with a speed of 2.8 to 3.06 GHz under $200-$250 that will run on my motherboard...?

I was planning on just buying it and trying out… but in the reviews I read make sure your board supports HT… now that’s the reason I ended up coming here…

Also if that cpu will work on my mobo, people say that it can get pretty hot, so is there any good fan that can cool the system efficiently and quietly and is small because the Sony I have is actually quite small and there really isn't that much room for a big fan.

Thanks for your help

EDIT: Here's some additional info..

PCV-RX660 #AWA004XDGH.EXE (ana1004.bin) 04/24/2002-I845 -P4B266LM ACPI BIOS Revision 1004 (Asus)

I don't know if it's of any help..

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Welcome to the Forum....After a quick look at the Asus website...No, your mobo cannot support a Prescott cpu, the best you can hope for is a Pentium 4 northwood proccessor which cannot be found on newegg anymore, tigerdirect.com and zipzoomfly.com may still have a few...be cautious, since your mobo supports the "new northwood core up to 2.2+" which was a long time ago, how fast a northwood cpu you can install I'm not sure, and it may require you to flash the bios in order to utilize the cpu....make sure to get the bios revision from sony and not asus since you don't have a retail mobo. good luck, and post back and let us know how it goes
TWAJETMECH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You For You Help...

Well I really had my heart set in getting a much better processor. Would you know by any chance know if a regular ATX motherboard would fit into my Sony (Size Wise), or would you know how to find the measurements of what would fit?

It would really help I guess to update the motherboard as well, since this one is quite old and has no PCI Express slots... I'm thinking I might as well upgrade the both the motherboard and processor if I can.

I know it would be much easier to just a case and everything and build it up again, but cost is the main factor above all, which is why I’m not really doing that.

In the meantime I'll go google around and find what information I can, I guess as a last resort I'll have to go with the northwood. The thing that sucks about that is that I'm a type of person who wants everything new... =)

Anyway thanks for your help once again, hope you can help me further…

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I could not tell from some pics of your computer I found on ebay if a std atx mobo would work....my guess is no, but if you do change out the mobo, there are some excellent cases for under $100 like the Antec Sonata II or any of the Lian-Li 60 series to be found at newegg. Glad to be of help....twajetmech

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.