Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My COMPAQ Presario with WXP has a 512 MB PC2700 and a 256 MB PC2700 ram inside of it right now. The 512 MB ram is very easy to change, but I have no idea where the 256 MB is, and if it is removable.
Well My laptop is a little slow to open etc, and I run very few programs, Nortons Client and Mozilla are really the only two that open and run within the few minutes of starting. But I do run photoshop and Bittorent once in a while.
My question is will an additional 256mb speed the PC up, even though it has a P4 with 3.0GHZ 333FSB CPU on top of what I have?
And, would be it be more feasible to buy a 512mb and replace the 256mb or just get a 1GB of ram and replace the 512mb.
I have read the service manual and its weak to say the least to say where the smaller of the two Ram cards are.
Also, My video card is a type that uses memory from your installed memory. I reduced that usage to 64mb in the bios.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
The second stick is under the keyboard, you should look in the manual for instructions on removing the keyboard.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The second stick is under the keyboard, you should look in the manual for instructions on removing the keyboard.
I just changed it as I had found this link.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00057181.pdf
I did dig into the laptop and I am glad I did as it was filthy. It was running 64C and now it is running 54C after I cleaned the vents for the fans. They were nasty.
The memory is in, an extra 512. Hopefully I will see a difference. Didnt benchmark it in any way. But well see how things open when I need them and they run.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
That's good. You will mainly see a difference in high memory programs that are graphics intensive, for instance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.