Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have win 98 running on my system, but im considering switching over to 2000. Is it worth it? Or shall I just stick to 98?

I mostly use my computer for gaming and homework. Would this be ideal for win2000? :rolleyes:

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I've heard that Win98 serves as a better gaming platform than 2000. 2000 is built off of NT, which is in no way meant for games.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea thats basically what people always tell me. I just thought I would drop a line with you guys in order to get some solid info. This way I can make a wise decision :winkgrin:

·
Global Moderator
51,596 Posts
XP is actually a better O/S for games, though I prefer 2K for the development stuff I do. Unless you're having an issue where you have to upgrade W98, or you're unhappy with the stability, I'd stick with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I concur

I upgraded a few months ago and I can definetely vouch for win98's gaming ability. Now that I run 2000 I cant play any of my games except warcraft 3.

win2000 is good for networking and boosting internet speed but otherwise it's just a shinier version of 98.

I would switch back today if it werent for my multiproccesors.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

i have used 98 and 2k and havent seen a difference in ability to play games.

that includes games like:
starcraft brood wars
outlive
empire earth
age of empires
diablo (III i think, havent played it in months)
beachhead 2000
im going in
warcraft
mechwarrior 3 (offline and online)
army men
commandos
duke nukem 3d
******* rampage
MS combat flight simulator
red baron 3d
sim city 3000
recoil
shogo
syndicate plus
darkages online roleplaying
drug lord
baldies
a whole load of games from the internet...
and tons more that i cant member right now....

the only difference i found was my modem disc didnt come with a driver for 2k, so i had to download one....

oh, and my burner didnt work at all.

but i would say 2k is for businesses.

98 is the best as far as simplicity,

again, it is a matter of opinion which is best.

~BoB~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.