Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the lucky few to get my hands on a Nintendo Wii when they were released here in the UK on Friday but that has also put me in a position where I can't seem to find any tech support for the rather obscure problem I'm having.

Every guide I find talks about routers and connections and so on but I have no problems with that, wireless networking is something I have plenty of experience with.

However, I am a student and I live in student halls of residence (or "dorms"). We use an ISP that provides us with modems but we must register with them and get an account and login. This means that any device I connect to the network needs to pull up a web browser and hand over my username and password before it's allowed to access the web, much like in an internet cafe.

When I try and configure my Wii, it accesses the network but can't access the outside world due to needing to login. This means that the configuration doesn't succeed and so I can't pull up the Wii shop (which would probably let me access the login page!).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Things I've thought of but don't know how to do include:
  • Spoofing the MAC Address of another device currently authorised to connect
  • Tricking the Wii to keeping the connection settings without testing them first

Thank you for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My uni will be of no assistance. I spoke to Keycom though and they basically said "Sorry, we can't/won't help you".

I may have it sorted now though. I spoofed the Wii's MAC address using a program I downloaded to my laptop. Then I logged in. Then I reconnected the Wii.

Seemed to work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.