Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a PC connected to a smc router (smc networks wbr14-g2) I have my internet modem connected to this router so I can have a strong wifi connection (my internet modem is pretty far away).

I configured the wifi signal, I added a WEP key, etc. Now I can connect my smartphone easily and has a strong internet connection, but my PC doesn't, it recognizes the signal, it connects to it, but it tells me that I have no internet access.

It seems strange to me that my smartphone can connect to internet, even play netflix, but my PC can't.

Any tips?

I have windows 7 operating system.

Thanks

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,530 Posts
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

See if completely removing all settings for the router fixes the issue.

Also have you tired to change the security to WPA 2 Personal?

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,143 Posts
Are you sure your smart phone is actually using wifi for streaming? The best way to test is to make sure your mobile data is turned off so that it can only possibly use your wifi.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,258 Posts
Moved to Networking Forum . .

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found here's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone,

I tried reseting my router configuration and instead of a WEP key this time I used WPA2 personal key something like that and it worked like a charm.

Yes, I was aware that I had to turn off my smartphone data streaming and also I've tried everything before. Thanks a lot for your advises.

I was wondering, repeating the signal from my internet modem, does it messes up with the original signal strength or with its configuration? My logic tells me it doesn't, but I didn't study systems or anything related.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.