Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up and administering an 802.11g household network for myself and several housemates, including four Windows XP SP2 boxes and my powerbook laptop. The router is a D-Link DL-524. I configured the network with WPA encryption. My desktop and laptop, and two other machines connected flawlessly after I entered the key. One desktop and one laptop (strangely enough both belonging to the same person) however refuse to connect when WPA is enabled. They can connect to other unsecured networks, but as soon as WPA enters the equation, they refuse. One outright errors, the other displays a box to enter a WEP key, then errors out if you enter the WPA key with an error saying it isn't the right size for a WEP key. They're both patched to SP2 with the critical updates, and when I try to manually install the wireless network support patches from MS, they tell me the systems are already patched. Does anyone know what might be wrong here? I've been working on it on and off for a week with very little luck.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
then errors out if you enter the WPA key with an error saying it isn't the right size for a WEP key
I think this points out the problem. It appears that the driver thinks you are in WEP mode, not WPA. I haven't had this issue, but that's where I'd start.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Not all wireless devices can do WPA security. You can check to see if they can be updated for this. Some can, others not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.