Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ring security camera that consistently drops its connection and motion sensing notification each day between the hours of 12pm and 5pm. Steps taken to resolve issue:

1. Camera has been replaced multiple times
2. WIFI Router has been replaced and relocated multiple times to improve signal.
3. Wifi range extender has been used to ensure that db loss and RSSI levels are within operational ranges.
As I write this RSSI strength is -51, -56dB at the location of the camera.
4. Internet speed tests 23.72 Mbps down, 12.13 Mbps up, Ping 41 ms at the location of the camera.
5. Wifi channel has been changed to best available channel, however there seems to be a very high number of wifi networks and about 13 hidden networks. Not sure if this is an issue
6. When connection drops between 12pm and 5pm I have tried resetting connection to camera with no success during this time.
7. All devices have been given static IP addresses.

The thing that I just do not get is that outside of these hours the camera works perfectly and no other cameras on my network are effected at any time. And they have weaker signal and RSSI levels. If anyone has any other advice or troubleshooting steps I have not tried I would greatly appreciate any help.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
9,324 Posts
Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference
Interference

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.
Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

--

How To Get a Better Wireless Signal and Reduce Wireless Network Interference

Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet: How Much Better Is a Wired Connection?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts