Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hope I'm posting this in the right section, apologies if I'm not.

Right the problem I've got is that I've got an intermittent connection with a wifi laptop. The wireless router is a D Link DSL-G624T and the laptop is a Compaq Presario running XP SP2. Both are about 4 months old. The problem started last week where the laptop would sometimes connect and sometimes doesn't. When it does connect it'll work for so long before the speed drops and then it eventually won't load webpages. The computer still reports that the wireless signal is strong though. I then tried a USB wireless dongle which worked well for a couple of days but even that now only works intermittently. Once again the computer still reports that the wireless signal is strong when using the dongle. So is this likely to be a problem with the laptop or the router? As far as I know nothing has been changed so I'm confused as to what is causing the problem. There's also no cordless phones in the house. Anybody any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may sound like a silly question but how do you change the channel? I went into the router settings and changed the channel to 11, then applied it and rebooted the router (which I presume is just switching it off, leaving it for a minute and then switching it back on?). But when its rebooted the channel has gone back to 6.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Well, if you apply the setting, you should not switch the router off, but let it write the setting and restart itself. If you applied the setting then turned if off, it may not have gotten a chance to write the new setting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.