1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
System: Macbook Air 11" (Mid-2013)
Adapter: Netgear WNA1000M USB adapter, Realtek RTL8188CUS
Software: Realtek Wireless Network Utility

To make a long story short the built-in WiFi adapter in my Macbook Air is inop, necessitating the use of a USB WiFi adapter, Netgear WNA1000M.

In all other situtations the adapter and the software required to use it work perfectly.

However, when trying to connect to the BYOD network at my office I am having an issue. The network is standard WPA2-PSK AES encryption, but when you connect you are prompted for your username and password, instead of a standard key.

With most devices this hasn't been an issue. But using the Realtek Wireless Networking Utility is is a problem, as the utility requires you to associate a password with the network BEFORE attempting to connect. Since it doesn't offer the option to use a username and password, there is no way to connect to this network.

What do I do?

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
You would talk to the network administrator or the person who setup the wifi.

You are not being asked for the wifi password. The wifi password is never associated with a user account.

It would appear you are hitting what is referred to as captive portal which means you have to be authenticated BEFORE you are allowed internet access.

Captive portal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The good news is that since you get that message it would appear you are already connected to the wifi network.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The network in question is not a captive portal. Whereas as captive portal will usually appear as an Open Network and ask for authentication when opening a browser the BYOD network I am trying to connect to appears as an closed network using WPA2-PSK AES encryption.

As I said previously, if I attempt to connect to this network with any other wi-fi device I am prompted for my userid and password, prior to being allowed to establish a connection, just like you would be prompted for the network password on any other encrypted network.

The problem is that the Realtek Wireless Network Utility works in such a way that you configure the password prior to even attempting a connection with the network.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
download and run xirrus wifi inspector and point out which network is the one you are trying to access. Let's make sure you are connecting to the network you desire and not a neighbors.

There isn't a single wifi network I have ever seen that asks for user name/account as part of a wifi access. When was the last time you went to Starbucks and were asked for a wifi account?

You are only asked for account and password to access the routers setup. It should also be no problem and you should be able to connect automatically if you have the correct password set in the wifi profile

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't you're quite understanding the problem.

This isn't a home network, it is a BYOD network in a large corporate office. I wish I knew enough to give specifics of the kind of authentication it is using, but I'm hoping that somebody here has experience with enterprise networking and knows a little something about this.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
FYI but I run a enterprise network over two states with wifi enabled devices in the hospital unit along with managing wifi internet access at the main facility.

Not only have I done numerous wifi installations outside of work but security camera systems as well.

Throw 20 years of IT experience on top of that working for companies like Symantec and Hyundai and you should get the idea I understand what the issue is.

The xirrus screen that was requested would go a long way in telling us what you are seeing.
scroll down to the mac download
Download Xirrus Wi-Fi Monitor Free

"In all other situtations the adapter and the software required to use it work perfectly."
And you are never asked for a user /account name when it works.

Did you try talking to someone in the IT dept at this BYOD location?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put in a support ticket, but they don't provide much support for personally owned devices. I still havent' heard back from them.

I will download the Xirrus app and see what it says.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
It would also be great if you could do a screen capture of the logon box you are getting and post it here.

Best way to do it is alt printscreen then paste into mspaint and save as a bmp then post here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just noticed that when connecting using another device it shows that the network is using WPA Enterprise encryption.

Realtek Wireless Network Utility doesn't have WPA Enterprise as an authentication option though.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
See if there isn't a update for the software. Seems strange for a newer adapter to not support all of the available encryption levels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using the latest version.

I have an idea for how I might be able to fix the problem, but I'm not sure on exactly how to do it.

I want to assign the USB wifi dongle to the en0 position in ifconfig, so that the OS will hopefully look at it as the default wi-fi connection, currently it sits at en3. i'm not sure how to do this though.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
As you state, it works everywhere else, so this is grabbing at straws.

I am still waiting for the logon box capture and xirrus screen shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.