Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. so imma get this straight. I bought a wifi extender just for me to plug it on my pc ethernet because the main router is in the 1st floor and my pc is in my room in the 2nd floor. The signal is still good here in my room but i Dont know why my internet keeps on disconneceting then reconnect. then after few minutes disconnects again and reconnects. It interrupts me from playing league of legends. I keep on dying because of it. please help me out

totolink ex200 is my wifi extender
https://www.totolink.net/home/menu/newstpl/menu_newstpl/products/id/144.html

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,925 Posts
Also, don't forget about WiFi interference.

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference
Interference

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.
Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

--

How To Get a Better Wireless Signal and Reduce Wireless Network Interference

Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet: How Much Better Is a Wired Connection?

How to create WiFi Diagnostic Report on Windows 10:

Doc - Citizen Lab's "Security Planner" (Bruce Schneier advisor) - Motherboard's comprehensive "Guide to Not Getting Hacked" - EFF's "Surveillance Self-Defense" - John Scott-Railton's "Digital Security Low Hanging Fruit" - "Digital Security and Privacy for Human Rights Defenders"

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,785 Posts
In addition to above, make sure the firmware is up to date.

Reactions: SpywareDr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Log into the interface via the extenders IP address and change the extenders channel and encryption type > WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) Sometimes just changing the channel resolves the issue. There maybe another access point nearby broadcasting on the same channel. Also check for driver update for your laptop Wireless adapter. Large mirrors can also interfere.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi. so imma get this straight. I bought a wifi extender just for me to plug it on my pc ethernet because the main router is in the 1st floor and my pc is in my room in the 2nd floor. The signal is still good here in my room but i Dont know why my internet keeps on disconneceting then reconnect. then after few minutes disconnects again and reconnects. It interrupts me from playing league of legends. I keep on dying because of it. please help me out

totolink ex200 is my wifi extender
https://www.totolink.net/home/menu/newstpl/menu_newstpl/products/id/144.html
Download a wifi analyzer app for your cell to check if there's a lot of wifi devices using the same 2.4Ghz or 5.0 Ghz channel. It's a weird phenomena but I've had issues in the past with everyone in my neighborhood all ending up on the same channel.

If that's the case try to manually set your wifi to use a different channel instead of autoscanning.

I have to change mine periodically because they can auto switch to the one I changed to.

If that's not the issue then you should take it back and get a different device.

The house where i live has an attenuation problem for all wifi signals. The only thing i can account it to is the insulation in the walls. So you may need to put more extenders to get a better connection.

We have 6 Linksys Velop devices to get wireless to the kitchen from the main device which is 35 feet away. Had to space them in 10 to 15 foot distances to get them to work right. It's totally ridiculous to have to have so many of them, but it was the only way that all the wifi devices could get access in this house.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,785 Posts
Keep in mind that every extender diminishes bandwidth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.