Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The WiFi adapter (Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN) on my Dell Latitude E6430 (Windows 10 64-bit) refuses to stay on. I click the Network icon in my taskbar, my Wi-Fi says "turned off," so I click the button to turn it on, and a few seconds later, it automatically turns off again. It behaves the same whether I'm connected via ethernet or wireless. I've done everything possible that I've found on countless message boards, support forums, reddit, etc., but it will NOT turn on.

1. The Networking troubleshooter tries to turn on WiFi, but fails.
2. Uninstalled drivers, then reboot, and drivers are automatically reinstalled. But it still doesn't work.
3. Cannot find any drivers online to manually install after uninstalling. The Dell support website - and several Dell/Intel driver utilities I've installed - can find no compatible drivers.
4. I cannot revert to a previous version of the driver (it's always grayed out). I also cannot find the Setup file for my driver, so I cannot run it in Compatibility Mode (it only lists 2 .sys, 1 .dat, and 1 .dll).
5. I've tried disabling the Power option (the most common recommendation) to no avail. (Device Manager > Network Adapter > Wifi Adapter properties > Power Management > Uncheck the box labeled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" > Reboot)
6. Checked BIOS and verified that the setting to automatically disable WiFi when on Ethernet is disabled. (but my issue happens when not hard-wired, too)
7. Ran these commands in PowerShell:
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled (I have set this back to "normal")
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
8. Network reset
---- Below this line, keeping a running list of additional items I've done since creating this post ----
9. Uninstalled and reinstalled the Dell Command Update tool, ran it, and updated drivers and firmware.
10. Ran DISM and SFC by doing the following in command prompt/PowerShell:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
sfc /scannow

I don't know if it is relevant, but my Airplane Mode button is grayed out. This issue described above happened once about a month ago, and I was somehow able to resolve it (or it resolved itself). I remember something about Airplane Mode, but don't remember what.

I don't know what else to do, and I am getting REALLY frustrated. Any help is appreciated!

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,745 Posts
Hi, you should not disable autotuninglevet it must be set to =normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I FIGURED IT OUT! On 10/6, I installed Windows 10 Update 2004. These issues started 10/7. So, I just finished following instructions to uninstall the most recent update and “Go back to previous version of Windows 10." Upon rebooting, not only does my WiFi adapter work perfectly fine, but my Airplane Mode button is not grayed out anymore, and I now see my Bluetooth Devices icon in the system tray that I hadn't even realized was missing.

Here is the link to the steps I followed: How to uninstall Windows 10 version 2004, May 2020 Update • Pureinfotech

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I FIGURED IT OUT! On 10/6, I installed Windows 10 Update 2004. These issues started 10/7. So, I just finished following instructions to uninstall the most recent update and “Go back to previous version of Windows 10." Upon rebooting, not only does my WiFi adapter work perfectly fine, but my Airplane Mode button is not grayed out anymore, and I now see my Bluetooth Devices icon in the system tray that I hadn't even realized was missing.

Here is the link to the steps I followed: How to uninstall Windows 10 version 2004, May 2020 Update • Pureinfotech
It is now 11/17. My computer installed the latest Windows update, and it again installed Windows 10 version 2004, and again, my WiFi refused to turn on. So instead of going through all the troubleshooting steps again, I just restored to the previous version of Windows, and TA-DA! Problem fixed. Again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts