Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using Win2k. My Internet explorer 5 has stopped working. It gives me that stupid page when it can't connect. My Kazaa stopped as well. It cannot connect. I can however use my MSN messenger and yahoo messenger and netscape as well (they all work great!) I type ipconfig at the command prompt and get a correct ip address, subnet mask, gateway, etc. It is not auto-netting. I cannot ping this ip address or ping 127.0.0.1. They time out. I don't think that any of the TCP/IP utilities work (tracert doesn't for sure). I have uninstalled the protocol and re-installed it to no avail. I cannot upgrade the internet explorer because it cannot download the installation files. Finally, when i boot to the Windows XP OS on the same partition, everything works great. Whcih is why I thought it was the TCP/IP stack was corrupt. Hence the re0installation. But if thats the case why does the rest work? Thanks

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

:coffee:

If you cant loop-back ping yourself (127.0.0.1) then I would say you have some serious TCP/IP issues..as far as the messengers working goes, you'd be surprised how resilient those things are they will find any and all protocols available to squeak through.. I would say a re-install is needed, but lets wait and see maybe others have different ideas. :D

One thing, do you have a firewall in operation, and if so which one?

Before the reinstall you could try uninstalling the firewall<reboot>, then reinstalling the TCP/IP<reboot> then reinstalling the firewall. If its a software firewall it might have become corrupted and is actively blocking almost everything...its happened before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firewall eh? What you say makes a little sense. I have installed Norton Internet security which includes the anti-virus and the firewall. I can't stand this firewall so I downloaded that utility that shows what programs are starting up (like msconfig in Win98) and disabled the damn thing. I totally forgot about that. I am at work now, and won't be able to enable the firewall till I am off. I will reply to let you know if it works. Thanks

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:D Glad I could be of assistance. Don't forget to come back often and tell your friends, and well anyone else in need of assistance. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.