Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am currently helping a friend to reinstall winxp home on his computer. he has the following:

MSI 848P Neo motherboard
Intel 3.0 cpu
Seagate 80gb SATA
1gb Ram
256 mb MSI video card
CDRW

Now I wack in the old Winxp Home Setup disk, check to see if Bios has CD in 1st boot order and restart system.

As the system boots it looks for windows disk in cd but dosnt boot from it. It is a Genuine Microsoft (not pirated) win xp home setup disk. I have tested this one my laptop and boots fine. I am suspecting a miss configuration between IDE and SATA in Bios but according to manual all settings are correct. Has anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
have you tried other bootable type disks with this computer I have seen this type of situtation many times, I have seen some cd-rom drives that just plain were bootable compliant; could be a bad drive or bad cable

it wouldnt hurt to click on the "restore bios defaults" dont forget to save changes when you exit bios!

you will need to change your sata controller settings in the bios prior to OS install, there will be a setting where it will recognize or treat the sata drive as an IDE drive until the OS is installed, then you should load the motherboards sata controller drivers and change the "IDE mode" to sata mode.

or yo will need to do the "Press F6 to load third party Raid or Scsi controller drivers" then insert the floppy disk with the sata controller drivers on it;

use which ever method you feel most comfortable, but you will need to choose one of these methods

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.