Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I am going to do my best to explain what is going on. First I will describe my computer.

I have custom computer, like all of mine have been. Built myself. Never had any problems. I have a Asus motherboard which supports am AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ running 2.20GHz, 1.00GB of Ram.

I have two internal hard drives and several external hard drives. Lots of space available. I have a Radeon 9550 Video Card, a DVDRW and a CDRW connected.

Now for my network adapters I have a linksys lne100tx fast ethernet adapter and also the network adapter that is part of the motherboard, which is a marvell yukon 88e8001/8003/8010 pci gigabit ethernet controller.

I have an internal tv tuner connected, a hauppauge wintv and also an external tv tuner, which is a wintv usb2. I think that is about it for my computer, just so you guys know what I have, if anything could be interfearing.

Now The Problem:
My computer runs fine, i have both network adapters plugged into a linksys wireless-n router with 4 wired ports. They are plugged into the wired ports. I have a decent isp. I have upgraded service where i get between 20megs down and maybe 10 or so up. It is very fast. Anyway, at low speeds everything works fine. I do not have any problems. Then say i start downloading something say with bittorrent or whatever and the speeds increase. At some point it all craps out. There is no error, the connection is still active, there is just no data being sent back and forth. If I disable the network adapter and re enable them, they work again. The both crap out at the same time. I have put another computer in its place and it does not do that, it handles the speeds. I have tried reinstalling windows several times. Tried replacing the one nic card. Do not know what else it could be.

If you guys have any ideas, please let me know, bc it is starting to piss me off, lol. If you need any other info or need me to run anything, just ask.

I am aim/yahoo/msn, if you want to talk to help. Thanks guys, im counting on one of you out there to help.
Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its possible your computer cannot handle the stress, despite the processor's capabilities.

You said U tried another computer in its place and no problem there, but did you equipt the other computer with all the gadgets and Ad-ons that the original one has on?

You could try disabling or removing some of the add-ons and try downloading again.

You could also try a network monitoring software to see what is causing the overload.

EG:
http://www.objectplanet.com/probe/

Never tried this one so I'm not sure of its effectiveness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your NVRAM on the router might be getting flooded.

The default firmware for Linksys (and all replacement firmwares except for the latest DD-WRT and HyperWRT Thibor) have a severe problem where they track old connections for FIVE days, which causes the router to hang when using P2P apps, or any software that generates a lot of connections. DHT only aggravates the situation because of the number of connections it generates.
http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G_GL_GS_routers

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That second link for the linkysys router note didnt work, do you have another?

I will try that probe program.

The other computer i used, was a little older, the computer i am using is alot better and should be able to handle it. I will try disabling some of the add-ons and gadgets.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

THanks for the help
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I am now using the WRT300N router, I was using the wrt54g or whatever before, but now using the wrt300n. And I have both computers connected to the router now. And its just the one that has the problem, the other one still works, which leads me to believe its something with the computer and not the router. But who knows what could be causing it.
Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
dave, have you tried using the bittorrent prog with only one nic at a time, and have you ended up with the same problem? Say, trying the onboard nic first, then if no prob then try the pci nic. If both check out... are both nics configured on the same subnet? You can generate some very odd network problems doing that. Routing loops can get created that will send packets around and around your network until they expire from ttl. The system has a problem deciding which is the actual gate to that subnet and usually causes a lot of hangs and slowdown in network communication (if it works at all).

Do you have a NDIS (Network Device Interface Specification) driver or prog installed to assist with load balance?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.