Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Mac OS 10.5.8 and use Firefox 3.5.5

I cannot figure out how to manage webcams - either to add a new webcam or eliminate specific ones that show up. The box of web cams keeps showing the same ones that came with the program and I cannot add ones I want. I also have 2 web cam boxes and can't get rid of the extra.

I downloaded a "pandacam" but 2 showed up outside of the web cam box. When I do a Find, the only pandacams that show up are in the download folder and deleting them there does nothing.

If I go to manage Widgets and unclick to eliminate ones I don't want, they show up again the next time I turn on the computer.

What is the "People" widget for?

IS THERE a MANUAL???:

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
I know FireFox is your browser. But is this web cam selection and widget stuff inside of FireFox, or is it a separate program? Also, what kind of Mac do you have? What web cam(s) are you using or have attached to your Mac? Or is this to watch someone else's web cam(s)? What is this box of web cams that you talk of?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know FireFox is your browser. But is this web cam selection and widget stuff inside of FireFox, or is it a separate program? Also, what kind of Mac do you have? What web cam(s) are you using or have attached to your Mac? Or is this to watch someone else's web cam(s)? What is this box of web cams that you talk of?
------
Ah, sorry...I tried to figure this out over a year ago and then gave up. So I'm not too sure how I set this all up but....originally, I believe I downloaded the web cam widget via Dashboard, a feature of OS X (I have v.5.8). I then found http://www.worldwatchr.com/
where I think I tried to download more. Or I downloaded from the Apple Dashboard/widget site.

Just now, I somehow got to
http://www.widgetop.com/desktop.htm.../webcam/brooklyn.jpg&title=New York&refresh=1
I don't know where that came from...it appeared after clicking around on the list of widgets.

The Mac help menu tells me to press F12 to open Dashboard and manage the widgets. But when I just tried it, F12 just opens the volume control. How do you change that? If I push the center button of the mouse I can access the current widgets but not the control panel

The instructions for installing more widgets say to go to the Apple widget web site and just click on the ones I want. That's what I think I did but I can't seem to get the old ones to go away or get the new ones to show up.

We have an IMAC OSX 5.8. I'm trying to watch other sites' webcams.

I did manage to load a New York City webcam at some point that shows up but so do 2 others that came with the program. The "box" refers to: when I click on the center button of the mouse, the current widgets show up, ex. calendar, clock, and 4 similar web cam images of New York which are inside of boxes of 4 different shapes. When I click on 2 of the boxed images, the image just moves over. One of the boxes has 3 pictures including a question mark. I can't seem to delete the extra boxes or do anything with them. Maybe if I could figure out how to access the F12 Dashboard, I'd have more info.

It's very confusing and I am sure I am not drawing you a clear picture; I apologize for being an airhead with this stuff.

Tima

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
You could try F3 for Dashboard. To find out what it is that brings it up, open the System Preferences, and click on Exposé & Spaces, then the Exposé button at the top of that. Then at the bottom is a Dashboard section that will tell you what key will bring it up. Once you have Dashboard up, in the lower left corner of the screen is a circle with a plus in it, click that, and now all installed Widgets will show up at the bottom of the screen, one line at a time, click on the right and left arrows at the edge to scroll through them all. On all Widgets, once you have clicked the lower circle, there is now a small circle with a cross in it on the upper left, click on it to close the Widget. Click on a Widget's icon in the bottom of the screen will launch the Widget. At any time that the Dashboard is open, hover the mouse over a Widget, and there will be a small i show up somewhere on it, click on that to flip the Widget around and see it's settings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.