Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm thinking of buying a 19" widescreen tft monitor with a resolution of 1440 x 900

Will my graphics card be able to cope with this, I only use PC for general web & office applications - no gaming

The card is: Nvidia geforce4 MX 420 (64mb)

Or will I need a more powerful card for a good display

Many thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Max res for that card is 1280 x 1024.
Don't mean to be an ***, but Google is good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi David, welcome to TSF.

You can only get 2048x1536 if you drop down to 8 or 16 bit colour. For 32-bit the maximum resolution for the MX420 is 1920x1440.

More MX420 details here. 1360x768 looks to be the wide-screen resolution closest to what you want. This is the one I use on my 19" widescreen and it's very sharp and clear. Check the specifications for your new monitor before buying to see which resolutions it supports, and then compare them to the ones available on your graphics card.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, just to update, I got this monitor today, set the resolution to 1360x768 as suggested by koala. I'm very pleased with it, picture quality is brilliant. Only issue is the text is slightly blurred, but its no real problem.

Very grateful for your excellent help

David

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
To make the text clearer, go to Control Panel > Display > Appearance tab and click the Effects button. Tick the box for 'Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts' and set it to ClearType.

I only recently discovered this option and was amazed at what a difference it makes to the quality of onscreen text.

You can also use the buttons on the front of the monitor to change the settings for brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I haven't worked with an MX 420 recently, but you might be able to add it as a custom resolution if you go into Display Properties > Settings tab > Advanced > GeForce MX 420 tab > Screen Resolutions and Refresh Rates > Custom Resolutions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is'nt a custom resolution option with the mx420 unfortunately,
my daughter has the mx 4000 (128mb) in her pc and this has the option. I may buy one of these cards and upgrade as they're quite cheap now. For now I'm quite happy with the display, I can't complain as the pc is over 4 yrs old.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will this card (fx5200) fit where my old card is, I've not changed one before. Found a few tutorials on the web & it looks straightforward enough with XP. Bit worried about deleting drivers then finding out it wont fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Yes, it will. It is pretty simple to install, just unscrew the screw on the inside of the case, then slide the card up, slide the new one in its place, and put the screw in. As for the drivers, you can always reinstall them if they don't work. You will uninstall them, and then boot up in safe mode and install the new ones.

Here is a good tutorial:
http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/install-pci-cards.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi David, welcome to TSF.

You can only get 2048x1536 if you drop down to 8 or 16 bit colour. For 32-bit the maximum resolution for the MX420 is 1920x1440.

More MX420 details here. 1360x768 looks to be the wide-screen resolution closest to what you want. This is the one I use on my 19" widescreen and it's very sharp and clear. Check the specifications for your new monitor before buying to see which resolutions it supports, and then compare them to the ones available on your graphics card.
KOALA-Reading your 12-20-2006(06-18am) it would appear that it is necessary to find the resolutions possible(32bit) with MX420 and then finding a screen with matching resolution-is this so?
Also where do I find the details for MX420?-your link does not work & the only figures I can get from Nvidia are 2048x1536 and they won't give a reference for them!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.