Tech Support Forum banner

What are your thoughts on Rainwater Harvesting?

• I like the idea!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prefer not to say

• I dislike the idea!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's make it short and simple, three-fourths earth's area is covered by water but only 3% is fresh water and water shortage is a global crisis, which is faced by billions of people around the earth. We have to take different measure for water conservation, Rainwater harvesting is the best technique because:-
1. Cost-effective.
2. Simple and easy to maintain.
3. Reduces the dependence on municipal water, which lessen the water bills.
4. Reduces the use of groundwater.
5. Can be used in drought.

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
13,123 Posts
only if you live in a place where its allowed ( explain to me how they can ban rain water)

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I never could understand the logic behind that. When I was growing up, most people I knew had at least one rain barrel, sometimes more. Mostly used for the garden. Gramma always had me filling the watering can and taking care of the flowers for her.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,818 Posts
Why expensive drinking water to flush toilets? Why not hidden rain barrels in every household plumbed in for flushing? And if the rain barrel(s) are empty at the moment, it automatically switches over to the drinking water supply.

You could also use this water for washing the car, house, watering, etc. Wouldn't that save money in the long run?

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
13,123 Posts
to the best of my knowledge NC is a my land my rain state, correct me if im wrong

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,364 Posts
Never heard of this before, lack of water is seldom a problem in the UK ........ we get too much of the stuff usually.

Only reason I could think of making harvesting it illegal for a householder, is that it reduces the amount of run off water available for the state to collect and use for drinking water, and that their citizens rights to drinking water supersede those of other citizens to water their gardens and wash their cars.

Of course that would only make sense if there was a "hose pipe ban" that prohibited those citizens from using "mains" water to water their gardens and wash their cars.

If there isn't a hose pipe ban, then I can only presume that it's an attempt to maximise water company profits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts