Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I'm new here I have a general question, let's say I was looking for a PC, laptop, netbook or whatever, why should I buy one that is running Vista?

I can wait a few months and avoid the horrors of Vista.

Is it just me?
Isn't there a trend of people waiting for win 7? why should you use Vista, if you can avoid it?

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just to add some humor. There is a joke I have heard going around that there are two types of windows operating systems. One that is corrupted and one that will eventuallly become corrupted. Having said that why wait?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
have you ever used vista? or are you only going by what you heard? Win7 will basically look and work like vista so there's really no difference.

Microsoft claims they have sold 88 million copies of vista. Even if half was sold and installed, I certainly do not see 44 million people online complaining about it. Something to consider, most vista problems are the result of computers not having the proper resources for it. Users insist on running old programs and devices without getting updates for them and other reasons. Also you will only hear about problems, nobody is going to go online and complain that theiir system is running great unless there is reason to.

If you are going to get a new computer - go with vista and give it a chance. Might as well learn it because win7 is basically the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i agree with sobeit ive personally had vista for a year or 2 and i haven't had 1 problem with it and personally i find it a lot better than xp and would pick vista over xp any day in my opinion its a better OS than xp hands down but that's my opinion and windows 7 is very similar to vista they've just tweaked it a bit in terms of display ect so id recommend buying vista and if your interested in 7 download the RC for free

what ever your choice good luck :grin:

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Vista is actually a very stable OS if you're going to use it for everyday needs - An OS is only bad if you make it bad. If you're going to be downloading pron and pirated stuff (I'm not saying you are, lol.. just using those are references since they get your viruses) along with not cleaning it and taking care of your rig, any OS will eventually become "Vista".

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
OMG VISTA!

I am a qualified tech and Vista sucks herdcore.
Here is an example of it's retardedness.

I play poker online at Absolute Poker and every once in awhile the poker sw will stop responding and you have to close it. It even happens in the middel of tournaments just out of the blue. Some may blame AP but Vista does in fact suck.

Wait for Windows 7 or you will regret it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My opinion:

The only reason to use vista is because either your OEM desktop/Laptop/netbook etc came with it or to get used to a different OS which will be widely used sooner or later.

Well if its the latter, use Windows 7 instead; just think of it as a better build of vista; think about vista as the testing ground for windows 7. Resource wise, Vista sucks big time unless you have a decent dual core with 4 gigs of ram and a discrete video card.

Right now, I'm experiencing lots of difficulties with Vista on my new C2D laptop but I'll endure it because I'll be suffering anyway.

Just think of it as suffer now and adapt sooner.

The only difficulties of Vista are Incompatibility, very hard to get used to, better at nagging than a nagware, resource hog; as for the other factors, it will beat XP.

Of course after a few years where 8 cores are now available, Vista or rather 7 will be treated like XP.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
All systems here came with OEM Vista installed and none have suffered from Vista incompatibility issues. Most family/ friends that have used Windows 7 on these Vista systems did not know it was Windows 7 and not Vista until they were told.

Vista SP1 and now SP2 is an extremely stable OS. To enjoy continuing stability, be sure to remove any installed Internet Security Suite (NIS, KIS, McAfee, etc... ) with the product manufacturer's removal tool. The firewall in these products wreak havoc within Vista and Windows 7.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Vista is actually a very stable OS if you're going to use it for everyday needs - An OS is only bad if you make it bad. If you're going to be downloading pron and pirated stuff (I'm not saying you are, lol.. just using those are references since they get your viruses) along with not cleaning it and taking care of your rig, any OS will eventually become "Vista".

Good point. Based from that, we can assume that for any OS example XP, you need to download pron and pirated stuff or anything similar to turn it into something like Vista. Well for Vista, it already is Vista...

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Now there's always the concept of "needing" pron, in this case.. get XP, it's use to it.

Vista in all fairness is a good OS, but NOT better than XP - BUT, if you're using it for everyday needs and like watching movies, listening to music, and playing games - Vista is good, but XP is superior. I have Vista because it I like it.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
I like Vista more than XP and if you're going to get a laptop I would say to just get one now if you want and buy Windows 7 later on.

Vista was unstable before SP1 and I've been using Vista 64 bit since fall 2007. XP I feel has less issues with security but the tools built into Vista are really handy. Ram is so cheap these day that buying 4 gigs of high quality RAM is only $50 for DDR2. I don't know why you refer to an OS that is unstable as Vista. Its got its quirks but other a very decent OS and a more secure OS than XP.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
Inherently you don't want to totally rely on just software to help you get out of problems. The hardware and OS needs to offer stops from malware getting in otherwise you'd be constantly flooded with bad stuff and a Anti virus wouldn't be able to keep up.

My system has more than a couple layers of protection

Farthest away and first line of defense to last line of defense

Router (hardware firewall)
Firewall (software)
UAC (software)
OS (disable remote entry and stuff like that)
NOD32 (AV)
Spybot (AV)

I have 6 layers of defense but again some will get pass 4 or 3 of them because of me and I'll be relying on spybot nod32 and the UAC.

EDIT I also have some pet Ninja Zombies surrounding me 24/7 and they're invisible. Its a good thing I have tic tacs and headcheese otherwise they go rampages. Best defense EVAH!

·
Registered
53 Posts
For average users, I think XP is much more reliable. I had many issues with vista already.

1 MS-OFFICE 2003 SP3 Professional retail doesn't work for me. unsolved.

2 Flash.ocx is unavailable. Requires some hands on.

3 Some software are unsupported.

4 network problems on my case unsolved.

5 UAC is much better at annoying me than malware. My laptop will have to blink twice taking around 3-10 seconds whenever this message appears and it appears always; thanks to messing with MS-Config I silenced it for good.

I'd say if you're at least an above average user, go Vista.

If you're an average user who doesn't know much computers, XP is much more friendly.

Both OS will give you trouble anyway if you're not careful.

My defense line

Router firewall
Windows firewall
Avast real time protection
firefox with adblock plus
Spyware blaster
Superantispyware scan only
Erunt/System Restore

If you want vista badly, get windows 7 instead.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You will find you will get alot of bias when it comes to decisions like these. The best thing to do is do some research and testing of your own. Check that the software you use will work with vista. 90% do, but you may find that if you are using specific, custom software you might run into some issues.

Check if you hardward works and there are available drivers.

Go to your local computer store and see if you can get some time to have a play with the system to see if it something you could get used to. Or even if you know anybody who also has it and try their computer.

Main thing: try and research before you buy.

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
have you ever used vista? or are you only going by what you heard? Win7 will basically look and work like vista so there's really no difference.

Microsoft claims they have sold 88 million copies of vista. Even if half was sold and installed, I certainly do not see 44 million people online complaining about it. Something to consider, most vista problems are the result of computers not having the proper resources for it. Users insist on running old programs and devices without getting updates for them and other reasons. Also you will only hear about problems, nobody is going to go online and complain that theiir system is running great unless there is reason to.

If you are going to get a new computer - go with vista and give it a chance. Might as well learn it because win7 is basically the same.

Sorry to tell ya but that is completely incorrect.
I have been using Vista and troubleshooting Vista 8 hours/day, 5 days a week since it was first released and it is terrible.

Everything "Stopped responding". As well, there are issues with windows updates constantly. Usually screwing up the internet.

Do not buy Vista!

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
People that try to defend Vista always blame it on incapatible software...hell, I used to as well. But after the abuse I have been through with it. I would NEVER EVER recommend it to anyone but an enemy.

·
Decessit
68,880 Posts
hi as you can see this is a somewhat contrversial subject but for my two pennies worth back when xp came along it was slated then they released the service packs and it behaved better then another again it was improved and there has been yet another for xp a similar story was the vista realase and similar improvements, so whilst those who have a dislike (hate in some cases) things have improved. now those who like it (love in some cases) and are willing to defend it on many a level may have missed out on the issues others had and goodluck to them.what it boils down to is no one os will please every user i for a longtime was in the castigate ms for vista corner but i decided to try again and with a few small issues have been better pleased than i thought i would say many of the points raised are true but they are equally true of any os sometimes it is a user error some it is other software and sometimes a combination of things it does not matter if your a qualified tech or a brand new computer user problems can and do occur but if they did not then everyone on here would be twiddiling their thumbs bored to tears and we would learn nothing and part of the reason we use this technology is for the knowledge we can attain and the little we can impart i return so when your comp regardless of what os you use decides to play up dont look at it as a problem take it as a challenge to your intellect and find the solution i thank you rant over cheers (and to quote vista and win 7 are very similar so why not vista for now)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.