Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok first off, i'm quite the computer noob. All hard disks stated are internal hard disks.

I wanted to reinstall my win xp. So, i bought a seagate 500gb (sata) and formated it as dynamic and i recall labeling it as a 'g' drive. After formatting, I cut, copied and pasted whatever data that i wanted from my old hard disk (160gb, sata) and another hard disk (that was previously also installed, not sata, 160gb, that was partitioned into 2 parts of e:/ and f:/ ) into the 500gb new hard disk. Once this was done, i disconnected the 500gb hard drive entirely from my computer and proceeded to install win xp on my old hard drive (sata).

After win xp installation, i connected the 500gb hard disk back into my computer. The problem is I can't seem to access my new hard drive (which is now labelled as "local disk e:/". When i try to open it, a message pops up asking for a hard disk format. Now, didn't i format my hard disk already ??

Can anyone provide an answer to this? I have critical data that i really have to work with which is trapped inside this 500gb hard drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just found something else. In "disk management", my c:/ is stated as 127.99GB whereas my SUPPOSEDLY 500gb hard disk (g:/) is stated as 128GB??

Layout of both: Partition
Type: Basic
Filesystem for c: volume is 'ntfs' but there's no indication for my g: volume.

If i try to open my g:, it simple says that "teh disk in drive g is not formatted. Do you wish to format it now?"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

Please ignore posts #2 and #3. I have just reinstalled windows xp.. I'm doing the steps for testdisk as stated in the sticky and am now at step F, waiting for the "analyse cylinder: process to be done. I reckon it will take several hours from now.

Anyone able to provide some guidance please reply alright :smile: I will be updating this asap no matter if i get it to work or not!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, since i did not create partitions in my 500gb hard disk, im stuck at step G. I assumed that my problem was similar to some other guy in the forum and i tried to follow these steps by eneles from the other thread by grendel824.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/solved-external-hd-not-formatted-all-of-a-sudden-200538.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boot sector is damaged.

Run TestDisk again, but follow these steps:

A. At the first window, select “No Log” and press the <Enter> key.
B. Select which drive to analyse, choose “Proceed” and <Enter>.
C. Select partition type – Intel if it’s a PC then <Enter>.
D. Choose Advanced > press <Enter>.
E. Choose Boot > press <Enter>.
F. Choose Repair FAT > press <Enter>.

----

However at step E, i do not see any option that enables me to choose "Boot"? So i'm stuck yet again.. Anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS TO THIS FORUM!! I did it!! Thanks ENELES you are a godsend!

I saw your reply in one of the threads and i tried the findandmount program! It worked! I am in the midst of transferring my data to my c: for temporary storage Should i reformat my 500gb hard disk once my data has all been stored elsewhere? Thanks again :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.