Tech Support banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gudday all

In the last 4 months an increasing problem I have seen is my wife's site has been getting many attempts, it would seem, to hack her business e-mail account. The host, quite correctly, is blocking these attempts by blacklisting the source IP address. The host tells us the source address and when I checked with various sites it turns out that the source IP is actually at our premises. We are using Telstra (Aust.) as our ISP. I further note that we seem to cycle between 2 ISP PoPs for an IP address, The solution at that time was to get the source IP whitelisted and we would be ok for a while. But why from our address? We can surf the web fine otherwise, np apparent problems.
My sister and I have been rebuilding my wife's site on her host and the same thing started.
Eventually I noticed that it began about the same time I added a new PC (Win10) to out home network to replace the old PC (Win7).
Finally confirmed that the new PC is the source of the 'hacking' by taking all devices off-line except for it. We can 'fix' the problem for a few hours by turning off the ISP router for 20-30 secs and restarting. This will give us a few hours grace. Presently we must reset the router 2-3 times per day. The old PC has unfortunately finally died and can no longer be used.

What could cause the new PC to try to 'hack' these 2 sites? Is there a setting, configuration I must change? I am at my wits end and have an unhappy wife (and sister). Or is this something outside our home network?
Are their some logs files to dive into?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Et al

I found the remnants of an old business account on Outlook 365. It proved resistance to removal or editing. I was forced to re-install Outlook with only our personal account.
That did the trick thus far.

I checked Windows Mail just in case. It appears clean.
It has now been about 40hrs since the last 'hack' on either my wife's host or my sister's site.

Fingers (and eyes) crossed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts