Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't understand the purpose of overclocking. Why even bother with it?

Is it all about saving money? Meaning, be able to buy less expensive components, then run them at the higher speed of their more expensive siblings? Because if it is, then based on all the trouble people have trying to overclock around here, I have to ask, how much is your frustration time worth?

Is it all about the challenge of being able to successfully push something further past its limits than it's designed to go? Work through all the difficulty, solve all the problems. Living on the edge. Teetering on instability. Drag racing.

Is it about the fun of constantly tweaking, rebooting, messing around in low-level BIOS all the time to tweak that last Megahertz or Volt on some component. Monitoring voltages, frequencies, and fans. Running high-end benchmarks. Playing with low-level utilities the average user never gets to see.

Is it about the learning of how a PC's components fit together and work together, what all the rules are, the ratios, the boundaries. If this goes up by X, then that has to go down by Y.

Is it something else? Like maybe the smell of smoking circuitboards?

So tell me... why do YOU overclock?

-clintfan

(Just to throw a log on the fire here, as if it isn't hot enough around here already. I didn't post this in an OT forum, or poll because most of the overclockers seem to be right here.)

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Never have, never will

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a degree in electronics and used to play with any detail of a circuit, ... until computers came around,
now what matters for me is what you can do with it,
and the more yo use it for productive tasks,
the less MHz and MB mean.

Gr

S

·
0 Posts
I agree with you clintfan, if you want speed buy something that is meant to go the speed you want if it's available.

It's like trying to soup up a stock volkswagon that will compete with a funny car...................:winkgrin:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
No overclocking here either. And I do agree with Speedo too...If it aint broke, why fix it ? Unless your intentions are to brake it, haha...

soup up a stock volkswagon that will compete with a funny car...................
This would be funny to see dough...just for the heck of it..
:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Looks like I’m the odd-man out so far. I just oc’d my first pc and I’ve got to say I had a blast. Firstly, I did it to save money. At the cost of 3 extra case fans and some Arctic Silver (about 15 bucks total), I got a 2.9 processor for the cost of a 2.4. Woot! But maybe a bigger reason for me was to just see how far I could push my machine (the challenge). I liken it to cars. I’m an “old man” at the age of 36, but back in high school I used to have a Ford Maverick with a 302 V8, ¾ racing cam, etc etc and the object of the game was to not only have a fast car, but to go out and race it against others. Well, the cool thing is that one can do that with pc’s, too. There are numerous sites where you can post the benchmarks of your overclocked "hotrod" and see how you do against others. Maybe pc’s are the new hotrods of us GenX’ers. Lol.

But, it’s not just about competition, there’s also the “Monster Garage” aspect…it can be pretty cool when you find a way to squeeze an extra 50 horsepower or 50 mhz out of a machine, especially if it’s for little or no cost. However, I’m a big video game player and I think the coolest payoff for me so far has been getting Morrowind to play smooth with all the settings maxed out after my system would stutter (a little) with my stock processor and video card timings. It seems like it’s becoming more and more common for games to come out that even the most current systems can barely play, especially if you want any eye candy. And from what I’ve seen from the initial benchmarks, it looks like the only people who are going to be able to get games like Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 to play half way decently are the ones who don’t mind spending $2,000 on a new system or us craaaazy overclockers. Woot! Live on the edge!

- James

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
with me it isnt about cost.

i simply obtain things that i like, and run them at the best speed

if my 450 runs fine at 500, then so be it

if i really cared about speed i would just go buy a 1600 amd and set it at 1.6 and leave it

but with something like a 450 that runs fine at 500, im gonna do it

or with a 900 that runs fine at 1000

ill do that too

but yeah, buy the fast part, and then overclock that, if you really care about speed.

~BoB~

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am not really sure that I believe the human senses can distinguish the actul difference enough to make me want to go through all the hassle.

So, for me, if it is not about the cost I am gonna just go buy the speed I want to begin with and be able to set down and enjoy what my new purchase can do for me.

I like to play games too, but not the configuring to get the game to run right. I buy the game to play it. I dont want to have to set down and start tweaking my system to make the game playable.

But then, I can understand that some people like tweaking stuff. So be it! Who am I to tell them that it's silly?

So, I guess I understand both sides. Bottom line is ................ It's personal likes and dislikes. Whatever makes you happy....I just worry about me.

Thanks,

Laffctx

·
Registered
207 Posts
No over clocking here. I'd rather run at stock rates than to take the chance with the ‘walk of shame’ back to the computer hardware store to by new parts. And for what, just to try and get a few extra GHz out of a system? I don’t think it’s worth the risk. Please everyone, don't take this the wrong way I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. If someone feels comfortable enough to over clock a system then more power to them (pun not intended). Just not my cup of tea is all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I never overclocked before I got this p4c800 deluxe. Now I do just because it's so easy. One setting in the bios that asks you what percent you want to overclock and it's done. So why not? Now my 2.80 is a 3.08. Runs awesome. I want to get a hyperthreading cpu eventually, so if I kill this one no worries.

P.s. to clintfan, temp never goes above 46C !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.