Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting for several weeks for newegg to get these in stock. Anyone know what is taking so long?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked up the Alpha Dog edition actually. It's a great card, and exceeded my expectations. It runs very cool (I heard they ran hot, so I was surprised). I have it overclocked to the eVGA SSC levels and it idles at about 39-41 degrees Celsius, and never goes above 50 on full load (playing Crysis, Gears, or Supreme Commander, the power hungry games).

The jump is huge for me, when you consider I was running a 6800GT before. That thing ran at about 55-60 in idle, and then over 90 on load.

The pros are obvious. This is some heavy duty power for the price (although I'm a little annoyed about how high the price has continued to rise, sorry for those who have yet to pick one up), the power consumption is very little, it overclocks very easily, and from my experience runs very cool without any special cooling (IE water cooling).

The only con I've experienced thus far is that the fan is loud at above 60%, and very loud at 100%. If you're not going with a custom install, and you want to keep it so you can't hear it (50 and under), you might see idles at 45-50 (or higher perhaps?). It comes stock at 30% fan speed. For me it needs to be at least at 70%.

·
Registered
39 Posts
omg, then i'll forget about the moto rokr Z6 for xmas, i'll get an 8800gt, btw, can sum1 check my latest question plz? i need help with my 7900gs

·
Registered
39 Posts
The price is rising because there is so much more demand then supply (simple economics)
Really? And here I thought they were doing it just for sh*** and giggles. :wink:

Yes, indeed though, "simple economics" - which only happens because of where the PC gamer market is currently cornered. Our burden I guess. You never see consoles jacked up in price just because they're being sold out. At worst they just stay their current price longer.

It's a vicious circle gouging the prices like that. It just causes more supply drops because people starting buying them even faster so they can manage to get one at a cheaper price before they rise even more. It's a real shame.

I waited only one week, and I ended up having to spend 40-50 dollars more than I originally intended. Still, it was definitely worth it. They are very good cards. I'm just glad I got it when I did. It has since gone up another 20-30.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyway, this card rocks, that's for sure.

BTW, what would it be better for xmas? this kickass card? or a new cellphone? (maybe the motorola ROKR Z6 or the Nokia 5300)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fancy cell phones are over-rated. You'll think it feels cool, works cool, and makes you look cool... but after awhile you'll realize it's just a phone.

Get the card. :1angel:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.