Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...

When I try to run anything that runs sound, it crashes, then usually msgsrv32 stops responding. The Computer continues to run after this.

Also, I noticed that sometimes conflicting devices can cause mgsrv32 to stop responding, so I try to remove the device (a webcam device), and the computer hangs when I confirm the removal. THEN, i ctrl alt del, and msgrv32 also stops responding after this and a rundll error occurs. When i go back into device manger, the device is no longer there... then get this, after i reboot the device is there again with an error.

And to top it all off... my comp doesnt stop thinking when its not even doing anything and no programs are running. Ive run ad aware and my virus scan and they pick up nothing unusual.

Is it finally format time? :(

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hello , madchains...
well, it might not be format time yet. Msgsrv32.dll is a message server (msgsrv for short ???) and it runs in background....Your sound problem might be involving msgsrv32.dll but that might not be whats causing the problem...Msgsrv brings up all the screens, for ex. when you press ctrl-alt-del it has to "pool" all the service running, so if it cant get to something, it will "hang" and stop responding. I would suggest this : try reloading drivers for your sound and, if you have your Windows CD, try reloading these dll files back into your system :

all these go into c:\windows\system folder

ADVAPI32.DLL
GDI32.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
MPR.DLL
MPREXE.EXE
MPRSERV.DLL
MSPWL32.DLL
RNANP.DLL
USER32.DLL

also check if there is power management is enabled, that might be causing your pc to "think" when its not doing anything...or when it tries to bring up screensaver?

G/L
[edit]

and of course, I forgot something....LOL
The problem that you are having with the component showing up after you reboot is also related to 32-bit msgsrv....as its responsible to check if the component is sucessfuly removed or when you installed, its responsible to check if the setup has sucessfully written all the needed files to the disk..

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
get rid of adawre and get SpyBot search and destroy....adware hasent been update since september of last year and if it tries to remove newer spyware it can even damage you intrenet connection

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help fellas... but a couple questions..

Ive got those files, but how do I copy them accross to my system folder? I cant believe i didnt forsee this, but when i try to copy them across it says the files are in use.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
how to replace windows files

ok, one thing to try is to get a startup disk that will boot you into any mode of dos, or trying to hit the f8 key and choosing command prompt only. then while in dos, you will need to know the actual locations of the old file, and the new file, and you will have to copy them from the one location to the other. this will not work out of a start windows in msdos mode chosen from the shutdown menu, this will only work if the pc is booted into a raw dos mode. then the files that it says are in use will not be loaded into memory. i hope this helps, and there is a list of dos commands i am sure you could find on the internet if you are not familliar with using dos.also, it does not matter what version of dos you boot to, as long as it can read the hard disk and whatever disk the new files are on. i know that win 95 and 98 come with a cd rom driver on the boot disk, if your new files are on cd that is what you will need to use. :confused: :rolleyes: :|

also here is a link for a list of dos commands you might find helpful http://www.csulb.edu/~murdock/dosindex.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.