Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when people shut down or restart their PCs, sometimes there is a warning message came our saying "x users connected to your computer, shutting down the computer will cut off the connection" Is there any tool for me to identify who is connecting to me and what file is used by the others, could be a None-MS third party software, any ideas?

many thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Hello billjiangyang and welcome to Tech Support Forums....:D

If you are using any Instant messenger programs or P2P like Kazaa one of these could be the culprit.

I use Zonealarm Pro it will block unwanted attempts to access your machine and give you the option of finding out who it is also...:winkgrin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Speedo.

I may not clarify my qu. I am talking about PCs in LAN, with win98 system and linked together by P2P, also there are shared folder on comp. What you suggest is a firewall software?

·
Registered
852 Posts
You will get that message if anyone even looks at you on the network. Lets say for example you are not even sharing any folders, and Joe Blo from shipping clicks on network neighborhood or my network places or what ever you have it named, and sees your computer- clicks on the icon, gets an empty folder. Moves on to his UPS world ship software or what ever- when you shut down you will get that message. It doesn't mean that there is someone currently trying to access your computer.

Even if you are simply sharing your printer, ANYONE on the network can print once and be done, a day later you could shut down and you will get that message. No way to stop it that I know.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:coffee:

:D Your could alway take the Cat5 Cable out of the network card in the back of your computer. :)

Other than that, I don't know anyway to get the message to stop coming up either...if you don't want people on your computer you could simply remove the shares.

If you just want to know what computers in your local network use your computer for any reason you could probably find a program that logs inbound IP connections but you would have to know the corresponding computer names for those IP addresses. :(

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
One final thought on this do yo have that computer hooked up to a network with any shared directorys or devices.

If so and a user may have the drive mapped to your computer that may be the culprit as well

·
Registered
852 Posts
Eventhough you are correct, do you feel OK with advertising your forum on ours? You are welcome forever as a member and you seem to know what you are doing, It just buggs me a little.

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
I have no personal problem with advertising my forum on your and if you sign up on mine I would have no quarrels with you put a link to this forum or one of you own in your signature

·
Registered
852 Posts
And a bold one you are, indeed. Welcome to the Tech Support Forum.

Nice colors, but one more forum and I'm facing divorce.:angel:

·
Registered
852 Posts
It would be my second........................

AND NOW ON WITH THE THREAD, FOLKS!

billjiangyang, WHERE ARE YOU?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate your help very much, JAMMAN, feel warm here! :)

Actually I didn't find out a tool for discovering those connected computers, I understood your thread, it helps, and I am trying to look for a tool which can log inbound IP addresses.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:D I was going to recommend this program as well...Jamman it seems we think along similar lines....I don't know if you should be afraid or not. :)

I have used it for awhile along with this guys Proxy Server and the programs work great. His proxy is the only one Iv found so far thats small, quick, FREE and allows easy POP3 email checking from any computer on the network.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.