Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an M991 Dell monitor that I bought on ebay which is a total piece of junk...BUT it does work and doesn't usually give me any real problems, but there are some. minor annoyances.

Before we start though my video card is a ATi Radeon x1800xt 512 and it's pretty high quality so I know it's not my video card causing this.

So here's the problem. Everything on my desktop (icons, windows, UI's...pretty much everything) has a white aura around it that never seems to go away. I see it in games too that use Bloom and HDR and it's especially bad when bloom is on. I don't think it's a video card option because I toyed with all the settings and nothing makes it go away.

Here are some other gripes concerning this monitor.

When I put pressure on top of the monitor the screen goes black.

If I slam my fist down on the desk the monitor blinks to black and then back again.

The power button sticks when I press it and the only way to get it to pop out again is to pull up on the bottom of the monitor.

And last when I drag windows across my desktop, they stretch out when they get to the sides of the monitor and then shrink up when they get towards the center. So everything is more verticall stretched towards the center and more horizontally stretched at the sides.

I know it's none of the simple options for my monitor or video card becaue i've been through them already. It's also none of my monitors settings that I know of.

This monitor may be a piece of junk but I just put about $1500 into building my tower so I can't afford a nice monitor yet lol..so I would like this thing to last a while longer.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Buy a cheap used monitor to get you by until you can afford your nice new monitor, and don't slam your fist on the table that your monitor is on until you are ready to get rid of it.

And I am wondering what reason would be for putting pressure on top of the monitor?

Regards.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uhh.. I did that as a test because I noticed that even if you SLIGHTLY touch the top of the monitor with any pressure whatsoever it causes the screen to go black.

The slamming of my hand on the desk was another test I did to see how much "jarring" it could handle before causing it to flicker off. I thought I made that pretty clear...

So back to square one....whats causing it to do this??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Please forgive me for not being able to see anything in your post that indicates you were testing the monitor?

Where I live there is a thrift store that sells older (untested) working monitors for $15.00 to 20.00. Perhaps (if you can find something like that) it would be a temporary easy fix.

But if you insist on going back to square one, I don't think I can be of any assistance to you.

Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.