Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing here in this forum because I have not yet found a person who can help me.

I recently bought a new Hard Drive where I would sacrifice a little more than usual, and get the best. I bought 2 stk. WD red pro WD2002FFSX-2TB.
Shortly after they were taken into use, it occurred to me that they appear with a strange vibrating humming sound in approx. 3 seconds when they are turned off or they go to sleep.

I have talked to my dealer about it, and they have stated they should be submitted as an RMA case, as they must be defective. I then got 2 new ones, and in addition bought one WD Gold WD2005FBYZ – 2TB, a drive that should be of even better quality.

Both the 2 new Red Pro and the new Gold drive make the same sound when turned off, as the first 2 I had, I'm losing my mind.

Why? Because somewhere I am told they are defective, and after many many hours searching the web for the problem, I find a place (WD Forum) where in 2020 someone asks exactly the same thing, and is told "it is normal" when the drive parks the reading head. And I can see there are others besides me who have recently inquired into it, though without answer.

It is impossible to have the reading head parked that makes that sound. And I would really like to know what it is, that is causing that sound, is it dangerous for the continued operation of the drive, or what.?

Link: https://community.wd.com/t/whirring-noise-on-new-drives-only-at-shutdown/252416

WD refers to sounds that are told about sounds when reading and writing, and clicks of death, but nowhere is the sound I ask about described.

Are there any here who can help?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,033 Posts
If all the drives mentioned in your links are doing the same thing, and they're all operating normally, I'd have to say it's likely that it's the way that WD has chosen to brake the platters after parking the heads. It's desirable to have the platters stop spinning as soon as possible after the heads are parked, apparently WD has taken to an active solution to do that that operation and applied some sort of mechanical braking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If all the drives mentioned in your links are doing the same thing, and they're all operating normally, I'd have to say it's likely that it's the way that WD has chosen to brake the platters after parking the heads. It's desirable to have the platters stop spinning as soon as possible after the heads are parked, apparently WD has taken to an active solution to do that that operation and applied some sort of mechanical braking.
I can understand what you are describing, but I have just talked to a colleague who has tasks, where he uses the same drives. He has sent an audio file to WD support, freshly recorded, similar to the one you can hear in the link I provided, from WD’s forum, in my post. Here is what WD support states:

”Thank you for your reply and your patience.

Our engineers have reviewed the audio bit you have sent us and do agree that the sound is most definitely not normal and should be replaced.

Since we determined that your device needs replacement please take some time to go over our replacement process, which is outlined below.”

Then that's what I'm saying. What's up and down in this case. On the WD forum, someone from WD states that it is normal, when you send an audio clip to WD support, and an "engineer" has listened to it, you are informed that it is defective.

If an engineer has listened to it, it would make sense if they contacted a product manager who deals with the type of hard drives, this person or department, must know what generates that sound, and with a good informative explanation will be able to close the case as faulty, or a normal function sound based on the explanation of what is happening.

I hope, when it apparently can not be done via WD that we can get closer here. Or through someone here, who has a better contact with WD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link.

As I so often see in such descriptions, then it can not be used in this case. If you read the quote below from the page the link refers to, you can partly say that the sound I, and others, have noticed may be normal. The problem is as it says at the end "When possible, compare to other drives known to be healthy." If WD support or WD forum, had stated the reason why the sound appears, and that it is normal, then we had a situation where we had a healthy drive. It just does not succeed in getting it confirmed, more the opposite.

”Quote”
”Mentioned above, a solitary hard clicking sound can mean the heads are getting parked. But if a hard clicking persists or is accompanied by any kind of repeating clunking (or grinding) sound, then there is likely a physical issue with the drive. When possible, compare to other drives known to be healthy.”

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,554 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct. Hard drives are mechanical, with constantly spinning platters and reciprocating heads. As such, they make noise.
If you had been to the link I refer to on the WD forum, where you can partly hear the sound, and read about the concerns around it, while I have told that the official WD support asks to get the drives back after have heard recordings of the sound, then you would not write such a banal message, that hard drives make sounds. It shows you are uninvolved, and does not show empathy, for a problem that is well documented and explained very carefully.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,455 Posts
WD might be extra cautious to protect its name or your colleague's sound might differ from yours. Return if you think it's the proper solution, but don't jump on people who are trying to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 3 WD 4TB reds in my Qnap NAS and 1 4TB Seagate. I don't hear any noise at all when I do a monthly reboot/restart. Other times, it has been shut down due to power outages and the UPS running out of time to keep it powered up. Again, no noise and the NAS is right beside my desk so I would hear it. One of the WD's is a fairly new replacement.

Have you had any feedback form the manufacturer?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,033 Posts
If you had been to the link I refer to on the WD forum, where you can partly hear the sound, and read about the concerns around it, while I have told that the official WD support asks to get the drives back after have heard recordings of the sound, then you would not write such a banal message, that hard drives make sounds. It shows you are uninvolved, and does not show empathy, for a problem that is well documented and explained very carefully.
Let me ask you a really silly question. Since you have contacted WD support and are receiving recommendations from them, what's the point of continuing on worrying here about the noise? You're dealing with the entity that can actually do something besides commiserate with you about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Let me ask you a really silly question. Since you have contacted WD support and are receiving recommendations from them, what's the point of continuing on worrying here about the noise? You're dealing with the entity that can actually do something besides commiserate with you about it.
Thanks for the answer, there are no questions that are stupid.

I am writing here for the following reasons.

1 On the WD forum I can see there is someone other than me who has experienced the same. There has (strangely enough) only been one answer in 2 years, and that is it is a normal sound.

2. Initially when writing to WD support you will need to go through many emails back and forth referring to their standard information about sounds from hard drives. However, there is no answer that is true to what is being asked. After a long time you will be told it is defective and must be sent back. It turns out, however, that all the drives that are repurchased have the same sound, so it is really flawed.
The question that is asked and repeated in all emails with WD support, we just want info on what it is, that generates the sound, so you have a logical explanation for it, but that answer it has not been possible to get.

3. There must be someone other than us who buys similar drives, and then it is natural to ask a question in a place like here, where there are skilled people with thinness in such things. Maybe you were lucky and got an answer from someone who had solved the question.

There are apparently and naturally different sounds on drives of different size and type within the WD series, that's understandable enough. Have read many threads on that topic. It's basically about you wanting to know what you're dealing with, take a stand on it, and if it's an automatic deceleration function they have made on just the 2Tb drive, then tell it, so the customer is aware of it and can relate to it.

We have to see, maybe there is someone reading this who knows what the problem is, time will tell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But possibly there is no problem.
It may not be a problem, I hope so. My thought in writing here was that someone came by who knows what the cause is, so you can be sure of the facts. It is the unique thing about being able to write in such a forum, that many see it, and maybe the right one comes by.
I hope the thread stays open so there is an opportunity to make a comment, if this happens.
;o)

·
10,554 Posts

·
10,554 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts