Tech Support banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 2 old routers, one of which is used as an access point in my office mainly for my wired computers but also for extending wireless range through my office into the back yard. Since I've been having all kinds of weird networking issues I've decided to replace all this old equipment. I plan to buy Asus AC-1300 gigabit router and a cheaper Asus Rt-N12 N300. Note that currently my internet speed is NOT nearly fast enough to warrant a gigabit router but I'm thinking ahead to when I might need one. Where my internet comes into the house I rarely use wireless devices. Near my office I have wireless printers, ipad, laptop, Firetv, phone. Also the AC-1300 has a usb 3.0 port that I might use with a network drive to store movies and music. It just kind of makes sense that this should be in my office. My question is, since both these routers can be configured as access points would I get any benefit by using the more modern stronger AC-1300 as my main router or would it better serve as the access point? Am I right in thinking using it as the access point rather than the cheaper one would actually extend my wireless range farther into the area I actually need it since it is a stronger router?

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
230 Posts
It's not just about a gigabit router being able to do a gigabit as you'll never see that via wireless anyway.
It's more about your usage and how many clients/users you have connected to it and using it at one time.
You can still use both if needed and connect the heavy use stuff to the AC-1300 and the printers and less used clients to the N300.
Keep in mind the clients that connect via 2.4 ghz will have better range than the 5ghz.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,034 Posts
Use the newest, most up to date router as your main router. Use the other device as an access point or switch if needed. I can't think of any reason to buy 10/100 components and Not to buy gigabit devices. Especially if you're considering streaming or file sharing over your network.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your input. Updating my equipment has been the best thing I've done in a while. I ended up with a stable connection and max speeds of my crappy internet provider. By turning my old weak router into an access point I now have added ethernet ports and can roam to the back of my property without losing signal. I should have done this a long time ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts