Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to get an external drive for backing up media (video) files. Currently it takes me a looong time to copy files. It is pretty sad :(

I am not sure which is better:

WD - My Book 4TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black

• Model: WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN
  • SKU: 1766068
---- I THINK this is 7200 rpm. But, WD has that thing where you can never take the drive out of the enclosure or you can't use it.. Plus one website had GREAT reviews (bestbuy) and another had horrible reviews (amazon)

OR:

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive with Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0

<li style="width: 160px;">UPC #763649039458 <li style="width: 300px;">Model #STBV4000100

The reviews seem better for the seagate in general. But, I read that it is 5900 rpm.

Will I even notice much of a difference?
The seagate says the transfer rate is up to 4.8 gbps
The WD says the transfer rate is up to 5 gbps
That doesn't feel like much difference... Like.. is 14 billion dollars really so much more than 13.9 billion dollars?

But I have no idea :facepalm:

I am currently running Windows XP SP3.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, and thank you for your reply!

what about the difference between the rpm?

And, can the seagate drive be removed from enclosure and still work?

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,520 Posts
Personally I would not use either one of them. Neither has a fan in side them and neither has an on off switch both of which will shorten their life.

I realize this one is smaller in size but has the quality:

iomega Prestige Desktop 1TB USB 3.0 3.5" External Hard Drive 35180 Black - Newegg.com

External Hard Drive - Newegg.com

As for software you don't need the junk on any of these. There are plenty of free backup software programs like Karen's Replicator that do a fine job allow you to choose what you want to backup.

The other choice is to buy the hard drive you want as most do here and then by an external case. Plug in the drive and put in 2-4 screws and you are done. Or better yet these new docking devices:
StarTech SDOCK2U33RE 2.5" & 3.5" Black SATA USB3.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - Newegg.com

Plug the hard drive in and you are ready to go.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to get an external drive for backing up media (video) files. Currently it takes me a looong time to copy files. It is pretty sad :(
As Rich said, you should look at the quality and longevity of any drive you acquire. As far as the speed, if you are still running XP, you likely have a machine that does not support USB3.x or eSATA, so the bottleneck may be your connection to the drive. You may notice a bit better performance from a 7200RPM versus 5400RPM drive, but only if your connection to the drive is fast.

I would prefer to have a drive that has an e-SATA connection if your hardware can support it as that would increase data throughput considerably. Then you might truly notice the performance difference between 5400/7200 RPM's.

Happy hunting!

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!"
- WIZMO

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.Thank you for all of these ideas! I am hoping to (in the near future) get a laptop to replace my older desktop. I'm hoping it will put out less heat into the bedroom. And, I'm assuming a newer laptop will have the better connection options. At present, it may definitely be my desktop slowing down the connection. As price is equal between the two models, is there Any downside you can see to the WD? I figure may as well have 7200 over 5400 if I can pay the same. Would you all agree?

Also, I appreciate the better quality of the drives you posted, but I definitely am looking or something around 4 tb.

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,522 Posts
No downsides from the WD drive. They make fine hard drives and the unit should last you just fine.

Rich is right as there is no fan on the unit so it may get hot, but as long as it stays around 30C it should be fine.

·
14,520 Posts
Is there something I can do to help keep it cool? Other than pour ice water on it?
Not really, that is the problem. I think Chief and I agree that WD drives are solid and Seagate are not but the problem for me is fans and on/off switch. Those branded drives go on everytime the unit is on so again if you never turn your pc off the drive is always on and the small very tightly crowded space is exactly what needs a fan to help cooling and WD and Seagate have neither. So if you can't shut it off and it has no fan, naturally you can see the problem.

Trust me on one thing. If it weren't for "my external hard drive says it needs to be formatted" or "my computer cannot see my external hard drive, or reports the drive is "raw", 1/2 the posts on all internet tech support forums would disappear, so you should take this seriously. And plugging and unplugging the drive when not in use will most likely not help and will destroy your usb ports.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hm. that all makes sense. Is there a drive or two you may be able to recommend? I'm hoping to spend under $200 and need 4+ TB. These two drives are $149.

THANK YOU!!!

·
14,520 Posts
Hm. that all makes sense. Is there a drive or two you may be able to recommend? I'm hoping to spend under $200 and need 4+ TB. These two drives are $149.

THANK YOU!!!
Buy the docking station I listed and any hard drive you like and simply place it in it. There is no installation to that whatsoever and you can buy a WD 4 Tb drive yourself.
StarTech SATDOCKU3S Plastic 2.5" & 3.5" Black SATA USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5/3.5 HDD - Newegg.com
WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Bulk Bare Drive - Newegg.com
Now you are under $200 with an on/ off switch and no fan necessary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at the WD you suggested, Rich. I can't find anywhere where it says about the RPMs. I tried to find it on WD's website but could not locate it there either. Do you happen to know, or know where I can find that? Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.