Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

One of my oldest general computing system is to be transferred over to my nephew for 3 weeks and he'll use it to game lightly. The specs are:

ECS K7SOM+ v7.5C mobo
1.4GHz AMD Duron CPU
Samsung DDR400 1.5GB RAM
WD Raptors 74Gb and 150GB
Onboard 64MB or 128MB video
Onboard 3.1 channel sound
Mitsubishi 22" CRT
Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU

As you can see its ancient and unsuitable for gaming in most ways, yet I don't have any spare system to lend him as all of mine that are higher spec are in use one way or another...but this. He will have to do with this until he goes back home, but I am after some decent online games for him to play that are playable with this system without too many slugs appearing on the screen :grin:

Mostly interested in FPS. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Counter-Strik 1.6 any game based on the Half Life 1 engine, Unreal Tournmanent GOTY, Unreal 1 single player, all mods for Unreal Tournament (there are alot !) , Thief, Serious Sam 1 propably runs fine,

Warcraft 3 any strategy game besides the newest.

anything will run and if u get a geforce 5200 or something newer for around 40$ or so ull be able to run any game really just not on the highest specs. the duron will be limiting but i got a 1.6ghz duron and a geforce 5200 and 512mb ram and u can play Counter-Strike source and Halflife 2 just fine on it !

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
yeah i got the FX5200 128MB, it's overclocked and i only got 256MB RAM
:laugh:, i play counter strike source, on Lowest settings, plays good..

im gettin a better graphics card and more RAM soon...

your specs are a little better than mine...actually alot with the 1.5GB RAM :grin:, should play alot of games well..

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every card I have is v.high end and in use on another system. I don't have a spare GPU and won't be buying one for 3 weeks of the kids gameplay when he already has a gaming rig at home that has all his needs provided for. My usual needs on that PC doesn't require any addition.

Unreal 1, Half Life 1, Counter Strike 1.6 etc... are these licensed or freeware?

What about something called Far Cry .. will it run?

I think he tried a 3D game on that PC but on Fedora Core 5, and it took around 30 seconds to move from one screenshot to another :eek:

Talk about FPS

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
should play FarCry fairly well..

depends on what Settings u run it on..

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as long as it loads up to the settings stage without wasting 30 or so minutes, he'll be happy with it :smile:

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
it would actually take that long?!

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He played a game on that spec - I don't recall what it was, and it took 15 minutes to change display.. i.e. frame

Maybe some other problem there?

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
wooow thats crazy lol...

i dont even think my GX240 would take that long lol...

maybe soo, dont know what game it is..

·
Don't be a menace
6,462 Posts
yeah i got the FX5200 128MB, it's overclocked and i only got 256MB RAM
:laugh:, i play counter strike source, on Lowest settings, plays good..

im gettin a better graphics card and more RAM soon...

your specs are a little better than mine...actually alot with the 1.5GB RAM :grin:, should play alot of games well..
Good to know, I got a fx5200 myself and I didn't think I could handle half life at any rate I would like.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
all the half life titles are licenced but can be bought for a pretty cheap price. the fx5200 is actually semi powerfull for its age (4 years) and for the price. it can even handle counter-strike source the newer version and half life 2

far cry will run but on very low settings.

unlrea tournament can be picked up for cheap BUT you might want to check out some of the free titles like:

Soldat(2d side view shooter)
Steam(lots of demos like Halflife etc and some free games)
Warsow(free shooter on the quake engine will run fine)
Cube(also a fun 3d shooter)
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory (ALOT OF FUN and will run good)
Counter-Strike 2d

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
yeah, i had my 5200 at like 575 Mem/305 Core...

i gotta 9600xt now...

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I've just seen him try and play Warsow.

Every movement was executed per 3 seconds. Before that every movement initiated showed up a blank grey screen. So every time an arrow key is pressed, or the mouse s move you see nothing but a blank screen after 3 seconds and then you see the final position you've moved to making no sense :sad:

The minimum requirements were wayyy lower than what I have. So I've no idea why its not playable on the system. BTW I had nothing other but security products running on the system at that time. So I expected it to use up some resources.

If I had some more cooling and newly put Thermal Paste in, I'd overlock it to 1500MHz to check how it runs then. RAM is DDR3200.

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
ahhh k, with the 9600xt u can finally see the nice shading capabilities on dust2 in CSS
on Medium? High settings?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I've just seen him try and play Warsow.

Every movement was executed per 3 seconds. Before that every movement initiated showed up a blank grey screen. So every time an arrow key is pressed, or the mouse s move you see nothing but a blank screen after 3 seconds and then you see the final position you've moved to making no sense :sad:

The minimum requirements were wayyy lower than what I have. So I've no idea why its not playable on the system. BTW I had nothing other but security products running on the system at that time. So I expected it to use up some resources.

If I had some more cooling and newly put Thermal Paste in, I'd overlock it to 1500MHz to check how it runs then. RAM is DDR3200.
thats strange ... what video card drivers are you running ? make sure they work with the 5200 as the newer ones dont ! also make sure u turn off any AA and AF.

on Medium? High settings?
should be good on medium ! make sure u turn on some of the reflections, in de_atztec, the mud will appear to be glossy and wet and in de_dust2 and de_dust1, the tiles in the tunnels will appear to be glossy and reflect .... its really pretty :grin:

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
lool, awesome....

CS has been playin crappy lately, think i said this earlyier...

think it may be a update issue, it's laggy as hell and only plays good on aim maps..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.