Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
Re: Which distros are available out-of-box?

That's interesting because I'm sure Linux Mint 17.3 (works in live mode) has the codecs installed.
Even in live mode you can still install software. They use a squashfs and the codecs will be installed in memory.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yes tried the Mint 17.3, but it had some problem installing Google Chrome. So didn't leave a good impression on the family member I'm trying to promote Linux to.
Will try again.

How about Netrunner? Is that a reputed distro? Or Zorin Core?

·
2,754 Posts

Yes, I used Netrunner in the past, based on Ubuntu but didnt have some of the packages I wanted, so gone back to Mint.

Did you try installing the codecs on the Mint CD in live mode?
The other way is to have a look through Distrowatch, though sometimes
they dont list every included linux package:

https://distrowatch.com/

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes, I used Netrunner in the past, based on Ubuntu but didnt have some of the packages I wanted, so gone back to Mint.

Did you try installing the codecs on the Mint CD in live mode?
The other way is to have a look through Distrowatch, though sometimes
they dont list every included linux package:

https://distrowatch.com/
After much thought, I decided I will install a deepin on a spare 32Gb usb stick that I have. Thus it will be a portable linux.

Please tell me how should I size the partitions for that. How much should be alloted to / and ~/ and swap.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

OK, what hardware (laptop or desktop?) and how much onbaord memory does it have?
Oh okay. Here are these. HP Elitebook 9470m, i7, 8GB RAM, and a graphics card I don't know of what capacity. Maybe 2Gb. The main harddisk is 250GB SSD, which is totally used by Windows 10, otherwise I would dual boot too.

·
2,754 Posts

Ok thats a powerful computer. Installing Deepin on a 32G USB stick I would allocate 10G to / and 2G for /swap and the rest for /home

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.