Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new XP Professiona and know nothing about computers. I need to know which cookies I can delete and which ones are safe to delete. I also need to know the same about the files. Can ANYONE help my?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Knothead sorry I lost the text from the 1st post dont delete. find a good pc cleaner such as c cleaner or some such and resist the urge to hand delete files untill your experiance grows.if you depend on cgi scripts for preset web page structuring simply have the cleaner of choice ignore the files from those sites while cleaning the hdd of others.
frank

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hello Knotthead, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

Adding to what frank33s has suggested...

Windows® does have a couple of built-in 'garbage cleaners'.

1: Right click > Internet Explorer Desktop Icon > Properties > Delete cookies > OK > Delete Files > Tick the box >Delete all offline content > OK...now click the Content Tab > Clear SSL State > OK.

2: How to use the Windows® XP Disk CleanUp tool. (click the coloured link.)

These two utilities will help keep the HDD 'clean'...use them both regularly, as well as using The Disk Defragmenter once a week.
Both of them will only delete the unnecessay 'garbage', whereas other system cleaners can remove vital files.
I have got into the habit of using Method One every night as part of the shut-down process, and Method Two once a week.

Hope this is useful for you.
Kind Regards,

·
Registered
282 Posts
Further, DO NOT use a Registry "cleaner." They can easily cause harm and are unnecessary. In "CCleaner" there is one in the left column under "Registry." Avoid it!

{redoak}

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.