Tech Support banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's VIN is 1N4AL21E49N530575 and I am trying to get my own AC compressor from partsgeek.com for my mechanic to install. The one he wants to install would be $700 dollars. I see much better prices on that website, but it looks like it's not that simple, even though I've narrowed down my car's make and model it's showing me several AC compressors instead, if this link works

Which one is it? Why are there so many of the same thing for my car and what are the differences?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,694 Posts
Auto repair shops stay in business by making money on parts and labor. If this is just a friend, I would suggests an ASE certified shop or even a Ford dealer. If you get the wrong one, I doubt Parts Geek is going to be sympathetic. When I was in the business, I remember this sign: 1619730692101.png

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
They are all the same compressor, just different brands and some with included extras. Many auto repair shops prefer to use OEM parts which generally are generally higher priced to begin with, then add on their mark-up etc.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Auto repair shops stay in business by making money on parts and labor. If this is just a friend, I would suggests an ASE certified shop or even a Ford dealer. If you get the wrong one, I doubt Parts Geek is going to be sympathetic. When I was in the business, I remember this sign: View attachment 331120

I used to have a similar sign in my garage.

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
12,876 Posts
Your best bet is go to rock auto, and enter the year make model and sub model if asked, engine size and search for one

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your best bet is go to rock auto, and enter the year make model and sub model if asked, engine size and search for one
This is the closest one I can find, though looking up my VIN says it's a 2.5L engine not 3.5L 2009 MERCURY SABLE 3.5L V6 A/C Compressor | RockAuto

If you get the wrong one, I doubt Parts Geek is going to be sympathetic.
Kendallt is saying they are all the same, so how could that happen if it's true, none of them should be wrong that looked up if that's the case.

·
28,694 Posts
You're obviously new to the game. Bring the removed part when you go to the store. I'm speaking generically, not just for you. IMO I wouldn't order any auto stuff except maybe things like spark plugs or wheels from an internet supplier. I had a 57' Chrysler that in the same model year, with the same engine, had three different radiators that were not interchangeable. When my family owned an auto graveyard, whatever left the lot was considered sold, and for good reason. No returns allowed.

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,105 Posts
My car's VIN is 1N4AL21E49N530575 and I am trying to get my own AC compressor from partsgeek.com for my mechanic to install. The one he wants to install would be $700 dollars. I see much better prices on that website, but it looks like it's not that simple, even though I've narrowed down my car's make and model it's showing me several AC compressors instead, if this link works

Which one is it? Why are there so many of the same thing for my car and what are the differences?
The Vin(1N4AL21E49N530575 ) you posted is for a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5L Eng.
If you buy the compressor and it fails there is not going to be a warranty replacement coverage for labor, Freon, oil, ect, you will have order and pay for the replacement part then send the old back on your dime and hope they approve the warranty. If the failed compressor(either current or replacement) sent metal into the system it will need a new condenser as they are a split micro channel unit that can't be flushed out with any success.
But at least it's only a hour to change the compressor plus evacuate and recharge usually 1.25 hrs.
If the Condenser is fouled with compressor it's another 1.2hrs for a sedan or 1.8hr for a coupe.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You're obviously new to the game.
Yes, I am, but it would be a little better if you answered my question in my post about why it would be the wrong one instead of just pointing this out. Your post and kendalls seem to contradict, which is what is confusing me.

Bring the removed part when you go to the store. I'm speaking generically, not just for you
=

I was little confused about this, you mean the non-working compressor I have now, now I understand.

I'm not going to get the part unless I know it's the right one, which is what I'm trying to figure out. Kendall said they were all the same, so are you saying no? Some are right and some aren't for my car? Is he wrong about them all being the same compressor?

·
28,694 Posts
I didn't say they weren't all the same. I was advising against ordering really needed auto parts over the internet. It's bad enough when done in person. Maybe Midnight Tech will chime in on his experience with incompetent auto supply clerks and managers. He worked for a major chain.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Yes, it is best to get the part from a local store. That way you can compare the parts and ensure that they will fit correctly.
Another issue with buying online is that if you do get the wrong part, exchanging it could take a couple of weeks (and extra shipping charges) to straighten out, not good if it's something keeping you from driving.
Also, most parts will have a core charge included which they will refund when you return the old part.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, it is best to get the part from a local store. That way you can compare the parts and ensure that they will fit correctly.
Another issue with buying online is that if you do get the wrong part, exchanging it could take a couple of weeks (and extra shipping charges) to straighten out, not good if it's something keeping you from driving.
Also, most parts will have a core charge included which they will refund when you return the old part.
But why would you have to worry about getting the wrong part if we've confirmed all of them are right already (is that what you're saying or not- with those parts from partsgeek?)

·
28,694 Posts
But why would you have to worry about getting the wrong part if we've confirmed all of them are right already (is that what you're saying or not- with those parts from partsgeek?)
Yes, you order the correct part. They ship the wrong one. It's another two weeks (at least) before you get what you want and depending on the firm, there might be "complications". At least use a credit card (not debit) that will go to bat for you.

Reactions: kendallt
1 - 15 of 15 Posts