Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of taking my 6600 gt back to upgrade to a 7800 gt or something. Which one ought I go with? I've seen them anywhere from 360 to 600 bucks and with anything from 128 to 512 ram. I do want to go with at least 256. I have seen models from evga, asus, msi, bfg, xfx, countless others. I am new to nvidia, who do I use?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I've had good experiences with eVGA and BFG. 512MB of VRAM is really not necessary with modern games and is only needed if you do 3D graphic design.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Whiteboyfunk said:
I was thinking of taking my 6600 gt back to upgrade to a 7800 gt or something. Which one ought I go with? I've seen them anywhere from 360 to 600 bucks and with anything from 128 to 512 ram. I do want to go with at least 256. I have seen models from evga, asus, msi, bfg, xfx, countless others. I am new to nvidia, who do I use?
Ok, you're positive its PCI-express I hope. Most important what games do you play?
If you want to play games at the highest possible setting grab the 7800GT or 7800GTX(although I'd consider the GT a better value). However, If you're monitor only supports up to 1280x1024, that might be overkill right now.
Is your 6600gt a 128mb version? If so, you may have trouble playing at higher resolutions, but even that could get a little tricky.
Say you take a slow card(5200 for example), and throw 256mb on it, sure it looks nice and all, but even after you crank it all the way up to the highest resolution, you're card still won't pack the necessary punch.
If you need help, tell me your budget, and I find a suitable card.
Edit:
Forgot to mention, if you want a 512mb card youll have to wait for the 7800GTX 512mb or the X1800XT to come out. Expect High prices however!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger. I am using PCIe. The 6600gt that I have is an 128 version (suxorz) and when I run pariah and similar games sometimes I get low frame rates even with settings lowered. My monitor supports 1600 1200 which is nice though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Whiteboyfunk said:
Roger. I am using PCIe. The 6600gt that I have is an 128 version (suxorz) and when I run pariah and similar games sometimes I get low frame rates even with settings lowered. My monitor supports 1600 1200 which is nice though.
If you want to play at 1600x1200, I would recommend something a little more powerful than a 6600gt. If you want all the eye candy and everything enabled, a 7800gt may be a good choice. However, you're lookin at $330+,. EVGA,XFX and BFG are all brands that are worthy of your money, but if you can find one for substantially less $$ then jump on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.