Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need a bit of advice.

My friend's father has an extra liscence for Windows 2000 server edition that I could use. The question I have for you is whether or not I would see a performance increase or decrease with the following system specifications (I would be coming from windows 98SE):

Pentium III 450MHz
512MB Ram
Two hard drives, 12 and 40GB

Since this is the full version of Win2000 I would have to wipe one of my hard drives before I install it. Do you think it would be worthwhile to buy a new hard drive to install Win200 on so I wouldn't have to back everything up (I have only one partition on my most used HD so picking files that I need to backup would be extremely time consuming)?

One last question. Are there any software migration/driver compatibility issues with Windows 2000 as I know there are with XP (like with video games and such)?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
What are you mostly using your computer for? I'm not familar with 2000 server, but I do know some people that like reg 2000 for playing games. I would check with the game manufactures to see if there are any known problems first for any of your fav games.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use my computer mostly for school and sometimes for games. Thanks for the advice, I'll check the manufacturers' web sites.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Win200 Server

I don't see a listing of what OS you are using now. Win2K pro is a great all around OS (my Op) for $319 though, The server/advanced server versions are more like $2000 and it's features are for administoring a large Organization, managing Domain/s, with OUs, groups, networked reasources etc...controling access to various users and groups, of apps, files...as for compatability, it was designed to upgrade Win NT 4.0 server (with the latest service packs) and migrate user accts mainly. I would surely say back everything with any OS change though. And do a clean install, after run "dcpromo" create a practice Domain and learn to be your own network admin, it will look great on a resume!:D Good Luck...Check the MS site on the features I play with the Adv Server Evaluation copy and it expires every 120 days, it is supplied with the MS course book for MCSE class.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.