Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am running Windows XP Pro, the NTFS file system, and I set up my system so I sent up my primary 30 GB hard drive with several partitions so that my windows swap file is on a separate partition (K:) than is my OS (C:).

I recently wanted to defrag this separate drive (K:) (partition) so I went into my virtual memory settings for my windows swap file and I selected "No swap (or page) file" and then asked windows to defrag the drive that my swap file exists on. I then went to defrag the drive.

Instead of defragging, I receive a warning that asks me to free up space on the drive in order that defrag can run. So (using Acronis PArtition Expert) I increased the size of the drive (partition) to 800mb (via the Acronis partition formatting & resizing tools) and ran the windows xp defrag immediately. At this point, after the reformatting, you would think that no data existed on the drive (K:)

However...

My latest defrag report for drive (K:) says:

Volume XP Pro SWAP FILE (K:)
Volume size = 800 MB
Cluster size = 64 KB
Used space = 600 MB
Free space = 200 MB
Percent free space = 25 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 5
Average file size = 297 MB
Total fragmented files = 0
Total excess fragments = 0
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 593 MB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 2
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 31 KB
MFT record count = 16
Percent MFT in use = 51 %
Total MFT fragments = 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There should be no files on this drive! What could possibly be the explanation for the reference to:

File fragmentation
Total files = 5
Average file size = 297 MB

the 5 files and their file size in this report, mean?

I dropped to a cmd prompt and executed the dir cmd to check the contents of this drive. It says the drive is empty. I should note I have also reduced the cluster size from 64k to 4k then to 1k and this produces no difference in the amount of free drive space. Does anyone have any idea as to what is causing this loss of available space, and a workable solution?

·
Registered
336 Posts
1.Instead of defragging, I receive a warning that asks me to free up space on the drive in order that defrag can run. So (using Acronis PArtition Expert)

2.I increased the size of the drive (partition) to 800mb (via the Acronis partition formatting & resizing tools) and ran the windows xp defrag immediately. At this point, after the reformatting, you would think that no data existed on the drive (K:)

1. You need something like 12% or 15% free space to defrag....looks like you increased it so you have 25% free space.

2. You increased the size of the partition or did you reformat? If you reformatted you wouldn't need to increase the size anyway because you would have 100% free space. Looks like all you did was increase the size and didn't reformat. Defragging does not remove any files...it arranges them so they can be found more readily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

1. You need something like 12% or 15% free space to defrag....looks like you increased it so you have 25% free space.

YUP

2. You increased the size of the partition or did you reformat? If you reformatted you wouldn't need to increase the size anyway because you would have 100% free space. Looks like all you did was increase the size and didn't reformat. Defragging does not remove any files...it arranges them so they can be found more readily.

I DID REFORMAT (with the Acronis Reformatting tool) then I resized the partition (with the Acronis resisizing tool). I was surprised to see after I reformatted and resized that the same ratio of (total drive space to free drive space) remained the same. Maybe I should try to reformat the drive not using the Acronis tool. What other way can I do this?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
FYI, there is no benefit to putting the swap file on a separate partition, in point of fact, it slows things down. Every access to the swap file results in a longer seek, since the swap file is physically separated from the other data. Now, if you put the swap file on another physical drive, it's a different story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the FYI.

So what is the upside then to putting the swap file on another physical drive? I do happen to have another primary drive (D:) connected to the setup listed in my original post. I could easily put this swap file on that other physical drive - I just never thought of doing that (actually I didn't know you could.)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you have a drive that's normally not active, and you put the swap file there, the drive heads normally are sitting over the area of the disk, making any access faster. I do recommend keeping 20-30 megs of the swap file on the C: drive, that's a Microsoft recommendation.

·
Registered
336 Posts
what happens when you right click the partition and hit REFORMAT? A reformat cleans everything off the drive so something didn't take the first time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.