Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get SP2 for my parents PC, they don't have broadband and I don't want to order the CD. I've tried MS site and they just want to check my PC for it's status and then get the updates I need, is there somewhere legit I can just download SP2 from for them?

thanks...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello,

The best thing i can recommend for you parents PC is to give them internet connection, you can even get it for 10 bucks a month using netscape or netzero. then from there go to start, all programs, at the top it should say "windows updates" and also in control panel. hope this helps you out, and SP2 takes a long time, so i recommend if using dial up, start the updates during the day, leaving it on over night, watch a movie, or play some good old fashion ninja gaiden on XBOX : ) lol

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Hi,

Not trying 2 tell U how to spend your or your parents' money, but when I still had dialup, I got the SP2 CD from MS for a lappy, and you only need pay shipping. ...given my take is your parents do, currently have dialup.

I am assuming their copy of their OS is legit, of course. If not, all bets off.....forget the wut, 71(now)? hotfixes they need for XP.

Time....is sometimes money.
Jill

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi BillDoor :smile:

If you have an internet connection running on the computer you need the SP2 update, automatic updates will download it immediately.

If not and you have your own connection though, download it from here: Service Pack 2 - 266MB

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Good link from Kalim above! And, assuming U do have broadband which I get, U could then burn it onto a CD and feed it to your parents' system wherein their dialup would mean it would take ovah 10 hours.

Not sure if U could do this with the now 71 hotfixes post SP2.....they will probably have 2 let those download via dialup while asleep as someone said.

U R a Good Son.

Jill

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
yeah, it has 2 pass the windows validation...

it's 2 check 2 see if the windows is legit...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
JP:

No, it doesn't. NOT if this guy using his broadband, and having legit OS in HIS SYSTEM....USES Kalim's link. No validation is required, I just tried it myself.

Unless....U mean there would B a problem when he fed the burned Cd into his parents' puter. Can't recall if I had 2 enter any codes when I either ordered SP2 or fed it to my lappy when it arrived.

Someone expert should weigh in on this to make closure re accurate solution.

Jill

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Bingo! Bravo!
Jill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.