Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not done anything different to my pc but my cd drive is gone. It does not show up in device manager or anywhere else on my computer. I am able to still put in cd's and the drive starts to read them, but then nothing. This has been doing this for about two months. It did oneday pop up and start working again, until norton poped up and scaned my pc. How can I get this working again permanetly. And why did it just dissapear.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Apparently you have power and at least intermittent connectivity to the device. Here's a good starting point.

Right-Click "My Computer" and select "Properties"
Go to the "Hardware" tab
Click the "Device Manager" button
Press the + button next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives

What is listed under this DVD/CD-ROM drives? Does it match what you have in your computer? Are there any other items on the entire list with an exclamation point or red warning icon? Are there any items under "Unknown Devices"?

Check those out and we'll troubleshoot some more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When you start up your computer does it list the drive under IDE devices? if not, check your IDE cables and make sure all the jumper settings etc are correct. Another thing to check is the bios settings for the IDE devices to make sure it is set to either auto detect or that it is set as a CDROM device.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.