Tech Support banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want a dongle, but I am having trouble finding an AC card for this model. Any help, or ideas, would be great. I now have a dual router, and I'd really like to access the 5G with the laptop, which only sees the 2.4 GHz. Thank you.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,232 Posts
FebSmart Wireless Dual Band N600 PCIE Wi-Fi Adapter with Bluetooth 4.0 for Windows XP,7,8,8.1 10 and Windows Server (32/64bit) Desktop PCs-2.4GHz 300Mbps or 5GHz 300Mbps PCIE Wi-Fi Card (FS-N600BT)

Note though that 5GHz WiFi is not the same thing as 5G for cellphones.

802.11ac (IEEE 802.11ac-2013) is a WiFi wireless networking standard in the 802.11 set of protocols providing high-throughput wireless local area networks (WLANs) on the 5GHz band.

In telecommunications, 5G is the fifth generation technology standard for broadband cellular networks, which cellular phone companies began deploying worldwide in 2019, and is the planned successor to the 4G networks which provide connectivity to most current cellphones.​

Sources:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FebSmart Wireless Dual Band N600 PCIE Wi-Fi Adapter with Bluetooth 4.0 for Windows XP,7,8,8.1 10 and Windows Server (32/64bit) Desktop PCs-2.4GHz 300Mbps or 5GHz 300Mbps PCIE Wi-Fi Card (FS-N600BT)

802.11ac (IEEE 802.11ac-2013) is a WiFi wireless networking standard in the 802.11 set of protocols providing high-throughput wireless local area networks (WLANs) on the 5GHz band.​
In telecommunications, 5G is the fifth generation technology standard for broadband cellular networks, which cellular phone companies began deploying worldwide in 2019, and is the planned successor to the 4G networks which provide connectivity to most current cellphones.​

Sources:

Thank you, but it's a Dell Laptop, not a Desktop. I need the internal card for that. It'd work great, i it was a desktop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

802.11ac (IEEE 802.11ac-2013) is a WiFi wireless networking standard in the 802.11 set of protocols providing high-throughput wireless local area networks (WLANs) on the 5GHz band.​

Sources:

I saw the link, I was worried about the antenna wires reaching all the way down to the mini card, so I took off part of the laptop back, and the front button flap, and reworked the wires so I can get more length out of them to reach the mini card, which I did order from Amazon with the half height adapter. Thank you for your help.

·
8,232 Posts
If the WLAN card has two triangles on the label (white and black), connect the white antenna cable to the connector labeled "main" (white triangle), and connect the black antenna cable to the connector labeled "aux" (black triangle).

If the WLAN card has three triangles on the label (white, black, and gray), connect the white antenna cable to the white triangle, connect the black antenna cable to the black triangle, and connect the gray antenna cable to the gray triangle.

Secure unused antenna cables in the protective mylar sleeve.
Source: How many antennas in Vostro 1500?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:) No problem.
So I installed the new Mini AC Intel 7260.HMW, with the half height adapter, and installed the white and black wires, and Windows 7 doesn't have the drivers for this board, in fact, when I search for it in Network Adapters, even hidden ones, it doesn't even show up. The Intel driver download for Windows 7, 32 bit, as I have, doesn't even show that model in the driver download. I'm really confused, and don't know what to do?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: I found a driver through lenovo, and DL it, and it worked, the NA showed up in the device manager, had 4 bars of wifi, but...it now keeps disconnecting after a few seconds. I hit troubleshoot, and it keeps fixing things, but now it keeps fixing no gateway detected, fixed, but after a few seconds, I get the yellow triangle over the wifi bars, and it says limited access, and only shows my one network. After I troubleshoot, it goes back to the 4 bars, for a few seconds. Any ideas? The driver says it's up to date. The default gateway s not available...fixed.

·
8,232 Posts
Highly recommend upgrading to Windows 10.

How To Get a Better Wireless Signal and Reduce Wireless Network Interference

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference

Interference

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.
Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet: How Much Better Is a Wired Connection?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts