Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This computer was recently restored using the restore disc that came with it. (Not the first time)
Some problems have come up. Some programs wouldn't reinstall so I had to manually install them from the restore drive. Windows would not completely install so I had to manually install that also.

Now that everything is reinstated and seeming to work, I am losing system resourses which when allowed to go too far naturally causes most programs not to work. The only way to bring them back is to reboot.

Most of the drain seems to be caused by Internet Explorer. If I use that, the resourses will deplete fairly rapidly. Right now I am using Firefox. I will still lose resourses, but not nearly as fast.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

The Computer:
Compaq 5600i
Pentium II 450 Mhz
256 Mb Ram
Diamond Viper V550 Video
Win 98

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Windows 98 has limited resorces every thing you start up when you boot uses resorses. There are a lot of things that windows starts that are not nessacaraly required. If you go into task manager (cnt+alt+del) it will show you how many processes you have running. The object is to reduce these down to just those that are required. I am racking my brain trying to dreg up that info (been a looong time) since 98. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm aware of all that. The system resources have always run at around 70-75% since the computer was new. It still does when first started, but then they slowly start to go away until it reaches the point where nothing works any more. This leads me to believe that there is a problem where there wasn't one before.

Everything that is running when the computer is started are the same things that were starting when it was new, but there was no lack of resources before. Something must not be right.

I have to go back to work now, but will check back tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have several of those:
Adaware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Spyware Blaster
and also Avast Anti-Virus.

As I said before, This hard drive was just wiped clean and re formated and everything was re-installed to factory settings. I notice that most of the resource loss is when I use Internet Explorer for browsing, although I still get some loss as the day goes by regardless of what I'm doing.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Just curious:

1 - Is the OS fully updated?

2 - What is running on startup?

3 - How much RAM is installed?

4 - Have you customized the swap file size?

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Could be Avast updating when you connect to the internet,it will use a lot of resources downloading and installing virus updates.
Does it get better after say 10 minutes or not?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OS is as updated as it can be.
Ram is 256MB
Swap file sizes have never been changed.
The resources do not come back once they start to go down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.