Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. new to sit hope you can help!I only know on a computer what ive taught my self over the last couple of years.
while at work last night my comp got hit with a trojan while kids were on comp.
when i got home i tried to get rid of it with the instructions norton gave me and when i set my msconfig to start in safe mode my comp would keep cycling reboot with blue screen flashing.

After getting frustrated i decided to try using my xp disk to recover no change.

after using my western digital disk to erase my hard drive to start fresh when i am trying to load my xp pro dis it goes thru the beginning ofwindows setup then reboots on it own.

my bios is set for cd first and i hit the button. it starts loading then reboots. if i dont touch anything i get ntldr any key to continue.

also tried different xp disk and no change.

also reset all cables in comp.

am i forgetting something silly :4-dontkno

please help

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf

apparently norton didnt do such a great job with that trojan.....cough...

please list your system specs, sometimes using 1 stick of ram only gets windows loaded.

post back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a fresh load(i think) i used my western digital disk and it said everything is erased i get my first blue screen (even after just tryin 1 stick of ram) shows windows setup at the top down at the bottom things are loading and then when it would normally go to the screen where it asks you if you want to recover or installl i see real quick it say at the bottom windows is loading then reboot

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is your hard drive IDE (PATA) or the new SATA type?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If its coming up with an NTLDR error when booting (without CD) then I would have to guess that the partion is still intact.

You may need to create a boot disk including FDISK to completely remove all partitions from the drive. Once that is done, you should try the XP install disk again.

If there is a virus hiding in the boot sector or FAT hopefully FDISK will kill it. Some BIOS allow you to do a low level format of the drive I believe, I've never done it though, someone else might have suggestions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tried boot disks. when finished still comes up with ntldr. never gets to the screen with my cd to format of anything. is there a way with nothing working to erase the drive completely? with windows not booting up is ther a way to make sure it is erased? please help and thank you!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have even run western digital lifeguard tools and run a full media scan of my hard drivre with no errors so why wont windows finish loading??????GRGRGRRRR

·
retired
1,966 Posts
If you have an old plain CDrom drive available use it temporarily to install winXP instead of the r/w drives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a normal cd drive was no different and yes only 1 stick of ram. it loads all the same things the 6 boot up disks does but still reboots at that time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no matter what i try it doesent give me my welcome to windows setup.could something in my bios cause it to reboot when it does? a jumper somewhere? havent changed anything recently since the last time i reformatted

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Yep, it's possible the cmos is corrupt and needs to be flushed.

Unplug the pc and remove the cmos battery for 20 minutes. Then replace battery and go into bios then set as default/fail safe and save, power off wait 2 minutes and power on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.