Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an xp service pack 2, and just recently when I boot my computer I recieve the message
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM .

I know how to fix this problem due to other threads. That's why I went to system repair with the xp setup CD.

I followed the steps of putting the CD in, pressing r for repair. But when the time comes to select the type of installation (enter the number) I press number 1, and then I press enter to proceed.

But when I press enter, the blue screen of death appears, and the problem is not fixed.

pleae help, it's my dad's computer and if he finds out he'll be angry at me.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
can you post what the blue screen says?

secondly why are you not running service pack 3?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the blue screen of death says the usual, "this screen has appeared to prevent further damage to your computer..." If you want to know the full message look blue screen of death on google.

Can you just tell me what's up, if you have no idea what I'm talking about then forget it.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,715 Posts
Hi your a little wound up at present please try to calm down and believe me when I say we are trying to help you we need the Bsod message and the code it gives it could be 0x7 or 0x8e you get the idea there are many others that info will help us help you

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
the blue screen of death says the usual, "this screen has appeared to prevent further damage to your computer..." If you want to know the full message look blue screen of death on google.

Can you just tell me what's up, if you have no idea what I'm talking about then forget it.
As Joeten said there will be a code in the blue screen message it will help us identify what is wrong. There can be many reasons for a blue screen and they always have a code which tells people what is going wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay this is the message:

A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

If problems continue, diable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Diable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** Stop: 0x000000c2 (0x00000043,0xc3A04000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Please Reply back, I need help thanks.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
The Stop 0xC2 error message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly tried to perform a memory operation. Typically, faulty device drivers or device software can cause this error message.

firstly you should update to service pack 3 next make sure everything else is up to date like graphics card drivers etc etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Stop 0xC2 error message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly tried to perform a memory operation. Typically, faulty device drivers or device software can cause this error message.

firstly you should update to service pack 3 next make sure everything else is up to date like graphics card drivers etc etc.
Actually I do have service pack 3, and the graphics and everything are okay. How can I get my computer to work again?:4-dontkno

·
Registered
17 Posts

Uh, he can't boot. You can't do any of that if you can't boot.

There's one way around this. I assume you're using the directions in Microsoft KB 307545. Hook the hard drive to another computer. All the steps that you were going to do in the Recovery Console can be done in Windows Explorer.

You won't be able to get into the System Volume Information folder unless you change the permissions on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

There's one way around this. I assume you're using the directions in Microsoft KB 307545. Hook the hard drive to another computer. All the steps that you were going to do in the Recovery Console can be done in Windows Explorer.

You won't be able to get into the System Volume Information folder unless you change the permissions on it.
Umm, I don't know how to do that, I'm not a computer science student or anything. And yah I'm following instruction from Microsoft KB 307545. Can you tell me why the BSod appears when I press enter to "1. C:\Windows" during the recovery process?

Is there any other way to get around without using another computer?

Please help my dad will get angry when he finds out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi...
In the matter of fact, this error could come from a bunch of problems, bad HDD, corrupted registry, corrupted updates etc...
But first of all - did you recently install some of this soft :

Norton or AVG.
ZoneAlarm Firewall.
Early Photoshop Suites (1-3).
Audio\Video drivers.

If you do, the most reasonable answer is in one of this apps\drivers... I'm sure there is planty of ways to roll it back, first of all we need to know, where mostly the problem is coming from...
If you did not - start checking your hardware one by one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't install any new hardware or software on the computer. However there was a malware (Windows xp security virus), that was causing some problems. Maybe that's the cause?

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,080 Posts
Yours sounds very similar to one I fixed a couple days ago that was malware related. Let me see if I can get you some instructions on what to do next.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
when I boot my computer I recieve the message
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM ...
*** Stop: 0x000000c2 (0x00000043,0xc3A04000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Bugcheck 0xc2 (0x43,,,) = attempt made to free unknown virtual memory address

Given 0xc2 + SYSTEM registry hive corruption, I would look at HDD.

Run HDD diags -
- http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html
- http://www.techsupportforum.com/2828431-post7.html
- Drive diagnostic utilities compendium - TechSpot OpenBoards

Start w/ SeaTools for DOS - 2nd link.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts

see my post above, that may work before he can attempt to do what you have suggested.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,080 Posts
kimiloli, did you ever run a hard drive diagnostic program? I'm curious what the outcome is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.